jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

Yes I do

1. 60
    tlmntim9posted 6 years ago

I love short stories, especially the ones I write as it is always a suprise to me to learn how it is going to end.
    Tim W

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me too - I plan my stories exactly, but they always turn out quite different to the way they should, better, in fact.
      I love to read tales with a twist, like those by Roald Dahl and Geoffrey Archer.

2. b. Malin profile image59
    b. Malinposted 6 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more...But just let me add, for me it's like a "writer's trance" that I go into.  It starts when I put my fingers to my "Mac" and ends at the last sentence.

1. valeriee profile image60
      valerieeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you on that one, i will spend hours and hours, writing countless stories about anything. I find that writing is like an outlet to life...

3. CMCastro profile image87
    CMCastroposted 6 years ago

I totally agree with you. I find myself writing more and more creatively when I am going through stress.

1. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me tooo.....

4. Stories Inc. profile image75
    Stories Inc.posted 5 years ago

Me too. It isn't all too handy though, to have the urge for release from stress through writing, because you lose time which results in more stress. It does, however ,lead to more stories, so it isn't all bad, I guess... smile
    It's always fascinating for me to find out what the h*ll's going on in the story. I only get a flash at the beginning and I never know what happens next to the characters.

5. LindaJM profile image82
    LindaJMposted 5 years ago

I'm totally into flash fiction. It is so much fun to write...

6. JayeWisdom profile image94
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

I've just resurrected some old short stories that I wrote years (in one case, decades) ago, edited a tiny bit, and turned them loose as hubs. They are not sophisticated stories, by any means. One is a slice-of-life piece that brings to mind small-town life in the 1950s. The other I describe as "folksy humor." Maybe it's just corny! I don't have one set "style" for writing short stories, and none of the ones I've done so far could be called sophistocated by any stretch of the imagination.  Maybe I'm channeling Eudora Welty!

1. nell79 profile image85
      nell79posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's what I've just decided to do. I'm so glad I did because it was so wonderful to revisit my first love (fiction) after only doing articles for the last few years. Not that I don't enjoy writing articles, but there's just something addictive about creating your own world with your own characters and seeing where it takes you.

Sounds like I'm in good company here smile

7. JayeWisdom profile image94
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

Oops!  I forgot to mention that I love reading the short story form. I especially enjoy collections of short stories by some of my favorite writers who write both the short form and full-length books, such as Jeffrey Archer. I also like reading shor story anthologies.

Since most magazines dropped short fiction years ago,an individual writer's collected short stories in book form and anthologies of stories by various writers are about the only way to find them on a bookshelf these days.

8. angela kekahu profile image61
    angela kekahuposted 5 years ago

I love short stories. I find it is a good way to write my life history.  The future will know who I was and what I felt and believed.

9. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

usually when I read short stories I get to the end wondering what comes next, and with the frustration of knowing that there isn't any more.

10. Docmo profile image95
    Docmoposted 5 years ago

I enjoy reading and writing short stories. As I have no genre preference I have equally enjoyed mystery, suspense, horror. Sci-Fi or general fiction. Some of the best work I have enjoyed have been in short form. My love of reading helped my love of writing, I am now dabbling in different genres - with each of my stories I have tried the capture the flavour of those genres I enjoy reading. I was delighted to have one of them picked for a Radio 4 afternoon play competition winner. A huge boost to confidence. Even though it is a tough market out there, with many magazines dying , maybe the e-book/ online magazine revolution will re-invigorate short fiction.

11. arthurchappell profile image60
    arthurchappellposted 5 years ago

It's good that your short stories surprise you as you write them - more chance ofthem surpring the readers too

12. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 5 years ago

Let's find a way to beat stress because I can get stuck with a character and then I can't pull myself out of that chapter. Any ideas?