jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Companies yank cord on residential phone books

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Companies yank cord on residential phone books
    By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM, AP Business Writer Michael Felberbaum, Ap Business Writer  Thu Nov 11, 2:06 pm ET

RICHMOND, Va. What's black and white and read all over? Not the white pages, which is why regulators have begun granting telecommunications companies the go-ahead to stop mass-printing residential phone books, a musty fixture of Americans' kitchen counters, refrigerator tops and junk drawers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101111/ap_ … hite_pages

ok so this is a literary piece but it is and was a staple in all American homes for many years....i no longer use it and actually throw them away...
    How about you?hmm

1. Mcmillen Writes profile image61
      Mcmillen Writesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hate phone books. Seems every 6 months I have two on my doorstep.

I am tired of getting them... I use google

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I use MSN White pages for reverse phone number lookups.  (That's the only use I have for MSN, by the way.  Oops - I do occasionally look at their Lifestyle section.)

I don't like having more phone books than I can manage.  But I do use them - all the time, in fact. 

I use the white pages to get more information about my children's friends and their families.  I use the yellow pages all the time to get more information on businesses I need to find.  Most often, I use the maps of the city in the front of the phone book. 

I can find the phone number for reporting power outages in the phone book - not so easy to do online when the power is out. smile

I have instant access to the printed phone book when others are using the computer.  And, if I need information immediately - before the computer has finished booting up - I can find it quickly and easily in the printed book.

Each "brand" of phone book has some features that I like and some that I dislike.  In one of ours, the zip code is printed along with the street address - I like that.

I would like to have a printed copy of cell phone numbers, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Maybe they should have people pre-order the books, then they wouldn't print them indiscriminately and waste paper.

3. Jo Deslaurier profile image83
    Jo Deslaurierposted 5 years ago

I definitely agree with Aficionada that people should be able to preorder the phone books. Its a win-win situation where the people who want and need them can have 'em and the majority of us won't have to throw thousands of pages away every year.

4. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 5 years ago

It's about time.  I'm tired of picking them up off the porch, and throwing them into my recycle bin.