jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Capitalizing husband and wife in direct address

1. kookoo88 profile image61
    kookoo88posted 6 years ago

I know that when you direct address mother or father, they should be capitalized, what about brother, sister, cousin, husband and wife?

example: "How are you, Husband?" - - "I'm fine, Wife."  Is that correct?

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're calling your wife 'Wife', or your husband 'Husband', then it's correct.

kookoo88posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think so too.  Would it be the same for cousin or any other familial relationship?

1. profile image0
          china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I guess that would be right because you make the noun into a Proper Noun if you make it a name. 

Are you Chinese kookoobaba ?

I am not.  I'm American. smile  "kookoo" is short for "koo koo cachoo" from a Beatle's song.  I used to say it all the time.  88 is a number I like.

1. profile image0
              china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would be from the Walrus -

I asked because 8 is "ba" so 88 is ba-ba and used for online   bye-bye   here big_smile

I see.  That's cool.  I didn't know that. smile

kookoo cachoo is also in "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkle.  I've always liked the sound of it.

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Brother and sister and son, etc., all work the same.  Capitalize when being used as in place of/as a name.

Excellent. smile  I thought so, but I just wasn't certain.  Thank you. smile

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago

Shadesbreath is correct.  When used as a pronoun, capitalize.

Thank you very much for the verification. smile

3. Jaggedfrost profile image82
    Jaggedfrostposted 6 years ago

It is sad how grammar has degraded so that education in general doesn't always yield such information.  One would think that extensive reading might fill the gap but apparently not.

Very good point.  After I graduated high school I took a private course for management.  The teacher became so frustrated with my poor grammar that she made me take an intensive grammar course which included things like defining and writing sentences for every use of the word "the"  lol.

That was about 20 years ago.  Even with that, the English language tends to be a bit fuzzy and inconsistant about some rules.  Also, I've been analyzing different books lately, only to find that many authors don't have very good grammar either.

At this point I'm actually fairly good at it.  However, I'm still uncertain about various rules, so I ask and become a little better. smile

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree with your comment about grammar.  Punctuation has also suffered in a similar fashion.  So many internet writers don't seem to grasp even the basics of these techniques.

That is extremely true.  Some of the rules are fuzzy too, so it becomes much more difficult.  As I've been writing my book, I re-examine different rules to make sure that I'm doing things correctly.  Even then, I'm still making mistakes here and there.  It's also easy to lose focus after thousands of words. wink

working