jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)

Are you a descriptivist or prescriptivist writer. Ignore 1st post.

1. seanorjohn profile image79
    seanorjohnposted 6 years ago

Abide by the rules        or anything goes.

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Yes.

seanorjohnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ediggity, thank you for your considered reply. It takes great courage to lay yourself bare in this way. So, your answer is "yes." I have just read through your hubs and I think I know your mind. Your hubs on "extended warranties on cars" and "make money wasting time", give me an insight into how you arrived at this conclusion. Did you study philosophy at University, or are you self taught?

Thank you again for responding. I bet you are the only one brave enough to answer this question.

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Exactly.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

lol

Psst..Im not sure what my style is ,and I opologise ahead of time ,because Im not even sure what this post is about -but it seemed fun ,and I guess I wanted to listen in and include my 2cents worth smile

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't either, I just figured I would try to get the ball rolling for him.lol

It's like when Humty Dumpty said to Alice "of course you don't know what I mean, a word can mean anything I want it to mean." That's a desriptivist approach. Anything goes. ( some say democratic - some say chaos)

Alice thought that we should all agree on the meaning. That is a prescriptivist approach. Abide by rules. ( some say elitist - some say sensible.)

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ok ,ok gotcha ( she mumbles, unconvincingly) no ,serioulsly I do.

Humpty was talking to who? lol (see I never knew that) and I read alot of childrens books, gosh for awhile there I even wanted to write one!)

Anways shoots hand in the air and shouts:

No Rules ,and eating is permitted whereever and whenever you want too!

Sorry, humpty dumpty was talking to Alice and used a word she had never heard before. When Alice replied " I don't know what that word means" humpty Dumpty said " of course you don't I haven't yet told you what it means." he then said " a word can mean anything I want it to mean, nothing more and nothing less." ( that's a descriptivist)

A presriptivist insists we should all abide by rules of grammar spelling and meaning.

Ok ,great smile I didnt know that .

(I think I'm both then ,a prescriptivist and also descriptivist)..or can be..

Excellent answer. This is the post modern way of dealing with this intractable problem.

2. seanorjohn profile image79

Thanks ediggity, you did get the ball rolling and I hope you realise that I always speak in jest. Never intentionally offend. Looked back and cringed at my response. Some people take my remarks the wrong way. They tend to be prescriptivists.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Not sure. I sometimes describe things.  How do I tell? Do I need to know?
      (There is a very good hubber named Pharmacist who fills prescriptions, and also a few who are real doctors who probably prescribe.)
      How do I ignore the first post if I didn't see it.?

Rochelle, you do need to know.Your life may depend on it.

You speak of pharmacists and doctors.... a great example. Imagine a prescription made out that says take 3 spoonfuls of this a day. Typically sloppy descriptivist writing. You could be overdosing on dessert spoonfuls when you should be taking tea spoonfuls.

I managed to erase the first post cos it was too descriptivist.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
          Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you are entirely right-- it should have said "spoonsful" instead of "spoonfuls. smile

3. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

Communication can be silent ,or it can be loud.
      Sometimes colour and sound will also project a statement,or murmur ,but it can and does communicate.

Words are like food to the brain.

Some days I seem to eat alot,other days barely any.

Words to build up ,or tear down.

Imagine one hour with not single word written,read or heard?

Difficult.

A descriptivist would marvel and cherish each and every word of your prose.

Ahh..but would he click on the adverts and create an income for me smile j/k

working