Would you read fantasy?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Stories Inc. profile image65
    Stories Inc.posted 13 years ago

Hey fellow-hubbers,

I started writing a fantasy short story series called 'Notebook: a tale of four brothers'. So far it has three parts (of four or five), but it just kept growing so much, I decided to round up the short story cycle and make a novel out of it.

Now I'm wondering if there is an audience for fantasy in book-form (I know the movies are popular, but the books considerably less so) and what that audience would look like, what age and interests they'd have.

I suppose my story would be most popular with teens and young adults, but I aim for a very broad audience with all age categories included. So far I've gotten good feedback from at least some representatives of each group (the majority being in their twenties).

My question to you is: do you like fantasy and would you read it? (And what kinds, what should it be about, what should be in it for you to like it?)

I hope your responses will help me get a good view of whom I am writing for,(and what my chances are of getting it published) while I'm still working on the book, so I can take it into account. Any counsel will be very welcome as well, be it on the story itself or the publishing process.

For those who'd like to read the story (the first part is up on hubs, the first three on blogger), here's the link:

http://hubpages.com/t/1dc502

I'm sorry the introduction got a little out of hand and thanks for reading it.

All best wishes,

Stories Inc.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course there is an audience for fantasy novels. And considering some of the stuff that makes it onto the bookstore shelves, I'd say you have as good a chance as the next writer of getting your novel published--and that's without even taking a glance at your work so far.

Neil Gaiman (whom I'd like to be when I grow up) says that there is a publisher for _every_ novel, and it's the writer's job to find him. It may be a long search, but that publisher is out there. Good hunting!

Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that's very encouraging smile

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did.
      When I was a kid, I spent hours in the Denver library reading.
      What I loved most were comic books.
      Then science fiction. I got lost flying in rocket ships to alien civilizations.
      Then, I read the bible. The worst piece of fiction I'd ever read.
      Warped minded adults convinced me it was a necessay read.
      A couple yrs later, I quit reading fiction...totally.
      I found that "truth is much stranger than fiction" and a helluva lot more interesting.
      Ya gotta do what ya love to do.
      So go for it! Write!
      Good luck!
      Qwark

Thanks. And I will.

I can imagine the Bible can do that to you...

2. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 13 years ago

I am not a big fantasy fan, but it is a very popular genre. Take a look in your local bookstore and you'll probably find there are many authors writing it.

Good luck and enjoy your writing.

3. Stories Inc. profile image65

Hello Donna,

thanks, I will. I always enjoy it.

Thing is, it's a pretty tight niche with a lot of writers competing in it to be read. Not many actually reach a broad audience, unless they can get a movie deal, but there's no point getting your hopes up there.

I want to be good enough to have 'notebook' get its place in the field. It's gotta be good.

4. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I used to read SF fantasy, but as I got older, I lost interest.  There is so much reality - history, science - that I feel I do not have time for any fiction.

5. Stories Inc. profile image65

oh, my, looks like I'm in trouble then... I had the same thing, I read great amounts of SF and fantasy at a younger age, but it diminished (I still read fiction though). I came to enjoy it again though, I just got more picky.

I hope there's an audience out there for it, it would be so frustrating if I have something that I love and can't get other people to read it too.

6. sammyfiction profile image61
    sammyfictionposted 13 years ago

I like to read fantasy, but I find it needs to have a good background and realistic for the story-storyline... Like nothing too outrageous.
    Goodluck with your endeavors! smile

7. Stories Inc. profile image65

Hi Sammyfiction,

that's at least one big_smile I hope I managed to fit your standards on the background and realism, I really tried. If you like, you can check here:

http://hubpages.com/t/1dc502

Or here (where you can find all three parts):

http://storiesinc.blogspot.com/2010/11/ … thers.html

And thanks, I'll keep trying wink

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Although I read a good deal of hard science fiction, I don't care much for most fantasy. 

Those books that I do enjoy have a very tight story line, with well defined rules that are well understood and followed.  I'm also an old geezer, not one of your normal audience.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Hi wilderness,

actually, the entire world is my intended audience, I'm just compromising with reality smile

It's not science fiction, it's more magic and fantasy and adventure, bit more to the side of Narnia and the sorts.

I can't tell in advance if you'd like it, I'd hope you would, but I'm not going to dispense you from my goal audience just because you're "an old geezer", I'm aiming arrows at everyone smile

It's naive to, I know, but since all endeavours always strand somewhere halfway, it's better to aim high, it makes 'halfway' just that little bit further, don't you think? smile

(I think I may have used way too many smileys in that one... Oh, well, here's another smile)

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh absolutely don't limit your audience.  Whether I would like it or not is immatrial; as someone pointed out there are far more fantasy books out there than hard core science fiction.

Both of my grown sons are fantasy fiends, and won't touch SF.

9. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

You may want to drop the "Notebook" part of the title as it has been done before and too notably.  Then again, there are no hard and fast rules so feel free to ignore me.

Hi jaggedfrost,

you're right. I just use it as a working title (I had to save it as something) until I come up with something better, which could be a very very long time.

But I'm sure that if I do get it published (*crosses fingers*), they will change the title.

Would you think of 'The Enchanted Book' for a temporary title? Too cheesy of better?

10. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Fantasy is predominantly an adolescent market. It is BIG. However, to get into that market is tough. Many, many writers attempt it.

I took a brief read. I must congratulate you. You didn't lose me after the first paragraph. In another life I was an editor for a couple of publishers, and I promise you if I get past the first paragraph,  you've got something.

You need to tighten your writing and get rid of some colloquial language.

Go for it!

Gee, thanks, that's really comforting. Thank you so much for actually taking the trouble to look at it first, that alone is worth my eternal gratitude.

Since you've got an inside perspective on this, I feel much more relieved now. I was beginning to fear it might be pointless.

11. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

This may be your fault - not so sublimial suggestion - but I started to write a piece of fiction today.

I may never do anything more than that one chapter, but it was a nice break from reality smile

I take full responsability.

Just kidding. Nice writing fiction eh smile

But I wouldn't mind having inspired someone, I'd be more like woo hoo! Good luck, and when you don't feel like writing chapter 2, come see me again big_smile

12. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

The funny thing about books of any genre is that you can wait until your work might be acceptable or be the novel that starts the craze.  I like your second idea better, personally when I make working titles they are usually pretty lame but I don't even bother referring to my manuscript by name.  I figure that when it is all done and edited it will be time enough for me to consider and meditate on a possible title.   Consulting with an editor at that point might be helpful as well as an illustrator.   You might keep a running tab on which symbols you use most in your book and you might find one of those to be helpful and then see if Googling  your perspective title pulls up any identical titles.  Next see if the close misses are in the same genre as your book.  If the answer to the first is no and the second is yes then you probably have a good title.

Thank you, jaggedfrost,

that's very helpful, I'll try that. For now, the title isn't that important, I'm sure that when (if?) I find agent, he or she will help me pick the best possible title.

I just have one for practical, reference purposes for the time being. I googled it and apparently this one isn't much more original than the last... Oh well. Guess I better focus on actually writing the book first.

13. Sarah Masson profile image59
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

Fantasy is huge at the moment. I enjoy it although I haven't read a lot of it but I will definitely be reading more smile

Nice smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)