jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (22 posts)

Do you ever get the feeling that your writing isn't good enough?

1. bellawritter23 profile image81
    bellawritter23posted 5 years ago

I posted this Question under my questions asked, and I seemed to have gotten a bit of responses, so I ask the question in a forum because I feel it gives off some sort of strive to improvement in writting. Please feel free to answer this forum.

Thanks for your participation

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, at least not my poetry, which most of my writing consists of....because poetry is a heart-thing and comes easily, and is rather unsusceptible to most judgement.

But in other types of writing, yes, because I don't take the time to research much that should be researched.   But even with that, it's my lack of ambition that keeps my writing from being "good".   
      (sigh) if it were good, I suppose I'd be making money from it!  haha

Well, there's one thing about writing/writers..
      Seems the most well-known and effective ones become "good" later on----even after they're (gulp) deceased.....
      Must we wait that long???!!  Oh my!  hahaaa

1. ar.colton profile image93
        ar.coltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think your ability to make money on your work is a great indicator of how good it is. Like you said that are a number of authors who weren't considered spectacular in their own time that we worship now and a lot of really terrrible writers that make a lot from their work.

2. tmbridgeland profile image84
      tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago in reply to this

After I read certain authors, yes. There are some writers I will just never equal.

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
        Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's me too. I read stuff all the time that is just so totally humbling. I pick up stuff by McCarthy or Nabokov or Pessoa or Wharton ... the list is really long ... and it's just like, "Ugh, I am always going to suck."

I think as writers, we just have to keep reading the great, great writers and watch how they write, study their word choices and their economy, look at what the DON'T put in their work as much as what they do, and, if we keep writing and reading all the time, we will get, well, as good as we can.

Hopefully someday it will be "good." You know? But at least it is fun and gives us joy, and sometimes, on blissful occasions, it gives others joy too. I'd rather get a big fat check, but I'll take that other one in lieu of payment while I work on my technique. smile

2. Jaggedfrost profile image87
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

In my mind, even my poetry isn't immune.  If people don't get anything out of it, if I don't feel that I have expressed my point or if there are glitches that people can detect as they go through it I love hearing about that.  A glitch is an invitation to improve.  No sense in getting depressed about it, if you fix it then you are giving yourself a chance to grow as a writer.

3. Edlira profile image77
    Edliraposted 5 years ago

For someone who has a really nasty internal judge,like in my case, that is every day reality :-)!It is both a curse and a blessing. A curse because you are never happy with yourself and don't really enjoy your successes, and a blessing because it helps you get better, by searching to perfect your writing style.

4. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

only after i press "Publish"

5. tnderhrt23 profile image83
    tnderhrt23posted 5 years ago

It is an ongoing struggle for me, and is not limited to my writing, I fear...I had to chuckle at Greek One's response...yup, just a click of the publish button has triggered self-doubt a time or two or three for me! lol!

6. ar.colton profile image93
    ar.coltonposted 5 years ago

I think I always need to think that my writing isn't good enough, otherwise I would stop writing. If I finish a piece and then look at it and think "It could be better." then I will try to do better every time I put my pen to paper.

If I decide finally that I'm great I've probably ceased to be good at all, as I will no longer be trying.

7. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 5 years ago

All the time! However there are times when I am impressed by my writing, but such occasions are rare.

8. kallini2010 profile image90
    kallini2010posted 5 years ago

I truly believe that each of us does his/her personal best at any given moment.

Getting better at writing is only possible by writing more (writhing as well).  Perfection does not exist...

Besides, not good enough for what?

What makes you write in the first place?  Money for me is not a motivator, because my hubs are not a Gold Mine. LOL  But it is my choice of content, I am not a commercial writer or artist.

9. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

All the time - it's difficult to believe my writing is good enough to serve the purpose its meant to serve.

10. L.L. Woodard profile image88
    L.L. Woodardposted 5 years ago

I think I am a good writer, at least of non-fiction. Haven't attempted fiction in decades. Could I become a better writer? You betcha. Good is nice, but I want to improve on that.

11. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Sure. When i feel incompetent, I just go do some hub hopping and that usually cheers me up immensely.

12. shynsly profile image60
    shynslyposted 5 years ago

Yeah, pretty much every single time I click "submit". Thankfully, the majority of the Hubbers I've had the pleasure of interacting with either disagree with me, or are just entirely too polite to confirm my fears, lol.

13. shynsly profile image60
    shynslyposted 5 years ago

For whatever it's worth though, you don't get over 300 "followers" and a score over 90 by being a sub-par writer.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure that's true,  Yes, it can be true for some, but I don't think it has to be.

Case in point: I'm a careless writer and overuse certain words like 'however" and  "therefore".   I tend to leave out important details and punctuate wildly.  I'm not saying the results are terrible, but I'm pretty sure no literary agent will ever call me.  It's not "good", it's just "ok".

So, I guess it depends on what standards you want to judge yourself by.

2. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not so sure about that!

14. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 5 years ago

I feel like my writing leaves much to be desired,mostly after I finish reading other authors work.

15. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago

Always, the day I believe my writing IS good enough I have become arrogant enough to think I have nothing left to learn.

16. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

Good enough for what?  I like to write.  I make a few bucks writing.  I even enjoy reading some of the junk I've written in the past.  As it says in my own "Godwin inspired" self-written bible-Don't worry, be happy! Wait... that's merely an old song!  I'll add the obviously profound proverb to my bible though!smile