jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why snow is like sunshine in the south.

1. Peculiar author profile image59
    Peculiar authorposted 5 years ago

I think most have said at some point in their life, rain and clouds make us close the curtains, slam the door, hop in the bed and pull over the covers.  Maybe, maybe not.  For me, I enjoy the beginning of storms: the dark blue and beautiful purple fixtures in the heavens; the lifting wind and the smell of something spiritual/natural coming.  But then, those feelings dwindle when the rain starts and the thunder quakes.

Most doctors and scientists say that sunshine is uplifting and does you well to be in it.

But where does snow fall into this cycle of seasonal attitude?  (no pun intended.)
    I'm from the south, and we love to see snow.  It is better than beaches and sunshine.  It does something magical to us.  Adults dont work, they play and make snowmen and giggle and chase their children through the yard.  Their smiles are a little wider and their willingness to help is a lot greater.

So why, at least, here does the snow out shine the sun?

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I suppose that living in the arctic circle, beaches and sunshine would seem heavenly. So then, the reverse: snow seems like such a fun novelty in temperate regions. Something unusual.

Since my furnace died in the middle of the night, last night and it was only 15ºF, the novelty has already worn off for me. (Thankfully, it didn't get below 48ºF in the house...)

2. tnderhrt23 profile image84
      tnderhrt23posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was born and raised in Florida and have spent most of my life there. Didn't see snow for the first time until I was maybe 36 or so. Like most Northerners who are drawn to Florida's sunshine, I, a Southern gal, I am enthralled with the snow.
      So much so that when I lived for a time in Pa, a fella I worked with dubbed me a little "snow flake" lololol.  Yup, it fits me! I am currently visiting one of my sons in Md. for a month, and we are expecting to get dumped on, tonight, so I am told...can't wait! Gonna have me a snowball fight and kick my son's hiney!

2. tritrain profile image77
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

Rare things in life can be a pleasure when experienced.

I live in Minnesota and love the snow...and rain, sun, heat...

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Your words are nice. We crave for things that we seldom experience. There is always beauty in rare beautiful experiences.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

snow may seem like sunshine to those used to nice weather but I guarantee that feeling will quickly fade if you see snow for two months straight...hmm

5. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

The first real snowfall of the season where it sticks to the ground and makes everything magical is a lot fun and so pretty.  I love it.  However, after the first snowfall comes the digging out and the dirty sludge, possible ice patches, and everything that is not magical. sad