1. 60
    jpcockposted 5 years ago

It is the beginning of winter. The trees have lost their leaves, and there is a chill in the air; moreover, the meteorologist predicts a large snowstorm. I thought perhaps he made a mistake because this is the Deep South. People rushed to the local stores to purchase staples and emergency supplies.

I am still not convinced a storm is brooding until I saw the most beautiful red bird fly onto my backyard. He began looking relentlessly for food never distracted by a nearby dog who constantly barked.  Since my lawn was recently manicured, I knew this bird would never find sufficient amount of food. I then decided to place pieces of grain bread on top of my deck hoping to attract the bird’s attention.  I thought how I could lure the bird to fly onto the deck.

I began to make sound of a Bobwhite.  Amazingly, the bird began to walk closer to the deck. To avoid frightening him,   I decided to go inside.   It worked! The bird flew on top of the deck and began to eat the pieces of bread. About one minute later, a baby red bird flew on the deck, and he also began to eat the bread until he decided he had enough. He then flew away.  Suddenly another bird, a Brown Thrasher, flew on the deck, and he began to help himself.

Now I am convinced because of the birds’ behavior, not the meteorologist, a major winter storm was imminent. The following day,   3-4 inches of snow fell in the deep south. There are lessons to learn especially from birds during the winter season.

1. 0
      Charlinexposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I took these shots last weekend in Toronto, Canada.

1. kookoo88 profile image66
        kookoo88posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nice pics!  smile