jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)

What drives you to write, what inspires you to create?

1. Kurant82 profile image75
    Kurant82posted 5 years ago

I am looking for new sources of inspiration, new ideas, and ways to make even the dullest subject entertaining to write about.

1. Genna East profile image87
      Genna Eastposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes ideas pop up out of nowhere.  We may begin with one idea, only to have it transformed into something else we never thought of, initially.  Reading helps, even something as silly as watching cartoons, brings fresh ideas.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If we're talking fiction, what inspires me is all the lives I want to lead:  being a fairy, a detective, a designer, an artist, a millionaire, a poet, a gypsy, a dog.

If we're talking non-fiction, it's usually the money that motivates me.  I wouldn't really want to write about the dull and mundane unless I'm getting paid to do it.

3. 61
      rieomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with what everyone has said.  What I can add to this topic is have a notebook and a pen with you at all times.  I have lost many topics I want to write on by not having a notebook handy.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago

typically writing about anything that your passionate about really helps you maintain focus on what your writing about.

1. Matthew Weese profile image40
      Matthew Weeseposted 5 years ago

Life!!! it is the source of all I know, So out my mind I let it flow...to charge the future and the day for all that equals perfection, with no intervention. All that comes out of life is recieved by our awareness it is drawn in then we release in our art...whatever your art may be....All Art comes from pryer art, it is a revolving door. what goes in must come out what goes out must be taking back in....(It is reflection) ...Art... That is what causes me to write my mind overflows with everything it see's..... M.W.EESE. Matthew "Scotty" Weese

2. acreach profile image59
      acreachposted 5 years ago

I can't help but write when I feel strongly about something. Especially as I'm not a great verbal talker, I find writing to be an incredibly freeing outlet for what I am thinking. More often then not I am inspired by watching people and listening to their stories. I find myself trapped within my own skin as it were if I don't write and thus this art is a gift I greatly value.

3. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Probably something in my morning cup of tea. I'd better stop mixing ingredients.

1. camlo profile image81
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can you give me the recipe?

1. 0
          Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

it's hard as I usually wake up only at work.

4. tnderhrt23 profile image82
      tnderhrt23posted 5 years ago

Passion. I write about that which I am passionate about, and I am passionate about alot of things, most especially Life. Perhaps that is born from the deep sense of gratitude that I have for just being alive, but I find inspiration in even the most mundane!

5. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Good Luck... smile

I am Inspired by Complete Madness and a now Incurable Guilt for having Run Over A Hedgehog that had followed me for 4 years! sad

1. Mr.Moonlight profile image60
        Mr.Moonlightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Boredom mostly. I write when I'm bored, most of the time; the rest of the time, it's either because I am annoyed or anxious.

When you write for a living, day after day, it's hard to come home and sit down to write creatively for your own enjoyment. And, I don't really think anyone is paying attention, anyway, most of the time.

If you write something that can't fit in a 160-character text message, you are wasting effort. Texting was born of necessity: most modern humans can't stay focused for much longer than it takes to read a tweet.

6. Martin Murtagh profile image60
      Martin Murtaghposted 5 years ago

I write mostly when I am lying awake at night, after having woken very early. That's when I can formulate a pattern or idea of my next piece without the usual daytime distractions.

1. karengibsonroc profile image81
        karengibsonrocposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i too write...or formulate things in my mind when i wake in the middle of the night or before the sun comes up...i think i'll start getting up for an hour...write my ideas down and then go back to sleep!

1. Martin Murtagh profile image60
          Martin Murtaghposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is imperative. If you leave it, you will definitely forget what you have written in your head

7. soneblom profile image60
      soneblomposted 5 years ago

I write about what inspires me in life, like the bible what it means to me, what Iv learned and how I put that to practice in my life, also romantic relationships, love, and people in love.

8. 0
      BIKTMIAposted 5 years ago

I observe and listen to feedback.

9. hoodieweather profile image60
      hoodieweatherposted 5 years ago

The look on her face. smile

10. Stump Parrish profile image59
      Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

I wander thru life in a state of perpetual confusion searching for moments of clarity. These I write down. Stump Parrish

11. Patkay profile image88
      Patkayposted 5 years ago

Small episodes/Scenes form in my mind. They start boiling over like a pot of tea and then it is that time i put them down and start elaborating them.
      Then when i look at what i have created, i feel that joy for being in control.

12. asiemens profile image60
      asiemensposted 5 years ago

My dreams are my big inspiration. They actually follow a plot, and sometimes they can really give my brain a jump start. I agree with what people are saying, always have something handy so you can write that idea down when it comes.

Little things can just get my brain going. For instance, seeing a homeless person can make me wonder about what their past is, how they became homeless and so on.