self esteem when writing

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ruach Eishposted 13 years ago

I would just like to know if I am the only one who this happens to:  when i write, as I am writing a novel at the moment,  I often find that my self esteem and belief in the skill of my writing goes down very low both while I am writing and soon afterwards.  Is this just me, or does this happen to anyone else?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This actually happens to me quite a bit, as I sometimes wonder if my writing is really any good, or maybe the people that follow me are merely following me for other reasons.  However, what normally helps me is that I try not to think about that whenever i write.  I just always try to be as honest as I can when I write, and I try to write about things that im passionate about for my own benefit.  if someone likes what i have written, then that's a bonus.  if not, then it's a good way to get your thoughts out there about things you care about.  at least, that's what always helps me anyways.

2. Extinct Soul profile image60
      Extinct Soulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got a low self esteem..lol but I publish my hubs anyways..

I keep in mind that you can never please everybody...but there will be, atleast one that could appreciate it..so I write my hubs at the best of my abilities and click the "publish" button while the other hand is crossing its fingers..lol

Talk to a friend or your mom...they could sure boost your esteem to keep you going! goodluck!

3. Genna East profile image83
      Genna Eastposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, yes.  We invest so much time and effort.  Whenever I begin to feel this overtake me, I always walk away and come back later for a “cold read."  Or, busy myself with something else if I am stumped about something; often the answer comes to me.  Friends and family are always encouraging.  (Hope this helps.)

1. profile image0
        Ruach Eishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes thankyou, it does.  As much to know I'm not the only one who has this problem as your advice itself.  Writing, of course, is something one does in isolation so connecting with other writers is great.

4. shellyakins profile image68
      shellyakinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have this happen to me daily.  I think, "No one is ever going to want to read this.  It's junk.  There are so many things wrong with it."  I just push through it.  I figure I can go back and fix the junk parts later. I just keep writing and eventually I put something good on the page.  I don't quit for the day on a low note.  I like going back and reading things and think, "Hey, I wrote that and it's good."  That helps me.

5. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you research widely before you do the writing? I think the reason why you feel that way is, that most of the stuff that you write is your very own. To you the writer, this is common place knowledge. My advice would be, that you transcend and put yourself into the shoes of the intended reader.

On another level, if you want to fight this boredom, challenge yourself to write about things that you knew very little or did not know. In that way you will have challenged your mind and realized your greater capabilities.

1. profile image0

Now that's a very interesting point indeed.  Though I never ever get bored when writing, it's just that sometimes my self esteem goes very low and I feel it's no good but  then when I come back to it later I realise that it is good after.  I do research, yes, but not widely.

2. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I guess it is just a feeling of saturation. You are writing and working a lot and you are having a feeling that you no longer doing your best anymore.... but the moment you are finish with your writing, the self esteem with definitely return... I want to believe having a low esteem while writing is only temporary

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

It happens sometimes, you always have great ideas but when you get it down in words it never seems as good. That's when rewriting and editing comes in.

4. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I don't think that many people feel that confident about what they are writing.  Sometimes the longer I look at something, the more like nonsense it seems. I find it helps to go and do something else, and come back and edit later

1. profile image0

Glad Im not the only one here who has the same battle!!!!  Funnily enough, what encouraged me to start writing again this time was someone telling me that my novel so far is rubbish - this caused me to go back and re-read it and I came to the conclusion that it is NOT rubbish and now want to carry on out of sheer pig-headedness just to prove the person wrong!!

1. CMHypno profile image81
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!

1. profile image0

Thankyou :-)

5. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I think it is very hard to judge my own writing because I write in my own individual way, and so am used to it.  Everyone has their own style, and because this is a development of our mind and a refelction of how we see the world, then it is only natural that we would think our own writings are of good quality.  Certainly, this is how I view my own writing.  It is just unfortunate that nobody agrees with me.  Based on all of the feedback I have received for my writing, I have come to understand that it is not as good as I thought it was.  I guess that if everyone is giving me the same feedback, then they must be correct.  This however does not stop me writing, as I enjoy doing so.

6. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

For me it is always the struggling with English language, as I cannot feel it the way I want.  And I can become desperate when my bird if inspiration suddenly dives right down into the mud!
    http://www.pic4ever.com/images/shame.gif

1. Extinct Soul profile image60

You've just found the right words to describe my feelings...
      (I'm with you on that,...same here!)
      http://www.gifmix.net/3d-smiley.php?image=tired-ill-3d-smilies/0024.gif

2. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It just takes a lot of practice! Learning other languages can be difficult, but you two both seem to do very well at it. I've always wanted to learn other languages, I've just never had a need to, so I would give up. But now, I do have to learn spanish tongue My fiancee being mexican, and her whole family speaking predominately spanish, hardly any english, it's forcing me to learn!

1. Extinct Soul profile image60

Thank you Travis!! smile
        thanks for saving our bird of inspiration to a complete drowning..

and Buena suerte para mi amigo! smile

1. profile image0
          Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha yay big_smile

Muchas gracias! tongue I am barely learning haha xD

7. astigpinoy16 profile image60
    astigpinoy16posted 13 years ago

Me too, I have a very low self esteem when I 'm writing I don't know why so what I 'm doing is I  watch TV for 15 minutes or play some computer games and then when I feel that my self esteem is back I start to write again. You have to stop it no matter what happens, because It will eat you alive

I think you don't have to let your self esteem go really down because it will definitely ruin whatever you are doing, You can't focus. You have to be very quick to uplift that emotions or what ever it is like you feel you are a terrible writer and when its gone you can now write anything comes to your mind.

Every writer has this feeling so you are normal. hehe!

8. Cici2hip4u profile image60
    Cici2hip4uposted 13 years ago

In my state of mind, when I begin typing my words out on my hubs, all of my thoughts form into one group. It is just a way of writing skills; every writer has their own piece of unique, significant skills. You are mainly stressed out with everything that is occuring in your lifetime, at the time. Just keep your head on straight and write half of a chapter every day, if that helps. As you are going further in your writing process, begin including a little more and more each day. That's my special ingredient with my hubs.smile

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Definitely, I go for quantity on sites like this and never show my true ability; some of my university assignments were on an entirely different level. That does make me question it all, but ultimately I stick to sites on which I can delete content someday if I want to. Don't be surprised if one day I delete every single thing that I have ever written on the internet, possibly within 5 years. If I ever feel like leaving this world behind (the online world, not the planet) I would definitely remove everything and make a clean break. I have financial objectives to achieve before that happens, a certain degree of wealth that I want to build, in order to walk away from this with a feeling that I achieved a certain level of success. I often feel cheap, like a sell out, but ultimately the pros have begun to slightly outweigh the cons.

1. CMHypno profile image81
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But if we are writing for money, we just need competent, engaging writing.  We torture ourselves too much if we try and write to the standard of 'War and Peace' for hubs.  I have cringed when I have read back some sentences - but the hub has made money

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)