Have Reading Books Become a Lost Pastime?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 13 years ago

Although computers have opened up immediate, vast and rich worlds of information that I love, I still love to read books as well.  These are friends that I can hold in my hand; I love the scent of books, and the turning of the soft pages.  I also think that books may have other benefits one cannot always find on the computer.   

What, if any, benefits do you think people lose when, and if, they stop reading books?

1. Istanbulguy profile image57
      Istanbulguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the same on this, Genna.

A benefit that comes to my mind is when I go on a holiday, I prefer taking books with me rather than my laptop (weight, risk of theft, hassle about Net connection). Of course, many people would think differently, as many don't seem to mind dragging along their laptops with them even to holidays.

Also, of course, another benefit is : not all books are available to be read online...not yet anyway smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great subject!
      I love to read.  But haven't read nearly as much since I "found" the internet....

I think we lose the personal aspect of it.  There's just something individual about even picking out a good book!  I always feel like I've discovered a prize or something when I choose a book!

We also lose, sometimes, the legitimacy I think.  A book definitely shows the author's name and a brief bio or autobiography and it's all there in a hard copy, unlike the internet which can be subject to misrepresentations or mis-quotes or plagiarism, etc...
      It's something solid that can't be "lost in space" even though it takes up less literal space!

3. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have always enjoyed "books" and read 6 in the past 2 weeks. I also have an ipad to access both nook and kindle. I have read 4 novels on my ipad in the last few weeks. For me there is little difference.

2. To Start Again profile image71
    To Start Againposted 13 years ago

well I think the allow us and encourage us to use our imaginations, something we tend to let go of a little in the age of youtube videos and streaming media.

Genna Eastposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Reading entire books does tweak our imaginations.

1. Tina Kachan profile image60
        Tina Kachanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also agree big_smile

Besides, I don`t get it how people can read entire books on a kindle, iphone and other similar devices. hmm

I get cranky when I have to read something extremely long on my laptop, let alone an entire book. If I have something on my laptop, I always print it out and then read it smile

I know.  We can't cuddle up with our laptop in the evening, pop it on the nightstand to continue reading later...especially alongside our significant others.

3. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

What, if any, benefits do you think people lose when, and if, they stop reading books?

I would have to say, in my case, my sanity, lol...

There's nothing I like better, at the end of the evening, than reading a great book until I can't stay awake any longer! I've been a voracious reader since I was a child, so I can't imagine not reading anymore... smile

My parents didn't let us watch more than 30 minutes of television a day until we knew how to read.  I’ve been an avid reader ever since.  I can’t imagine not picking up a book ever again.

4. mquee profile image65
    mqueeposted 13 years ago

I still enjoy reading books because I find it relaxing. When I am reading on the internet, I find myself in sort of a rush.

I too, find it relaxing to read a book.  The words on the page are more present for some reason.

5. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I love to read too. There's something about a new, unblemished book that's so satisfying. I bought a '100 classic books' for my DS but it's just insane trying to read on those tiny screens and it takes longer to read too. I hate when I book feels like some kind of epic mission where you have to get to the end.

I've just finished reading an excellent book where I've learnt all about the history of the Congo!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Since I got my Kindle I'm reading more than I have for a while. The print on the Kindle is just like reading a paper book, there is no glare and it's not like reading a computer.

I have never tried the Kindle; thanks for the suggestion...I just might give it a try.  (But I  might miss my pages. smile

7. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

Reading books is something I still do, but unfortunately books will one day become a victim of changing times due to the invasion of e-books. I now do most of my reading from my I-Pad because I find it more convenient to buy and carry a large selection of reading material this way.

You have a good point about the I-Pad . 

Still...I can't help but wonder what Keats, Shakespeare, Dickinson or Frost would think if they were to see their words digitized...or what they would say and write about it.  Now there’s a topic for another forum.

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I don't think so... There is nothing like the smell of a library full of old books! wink

9. asiemens profile image60
    asiemensposted 13 years ago

I guess technology has limited reading somewhat. People, especially children, tend to lose a lot of their creativity thanks to TV because they don't have to imagine a scene or character, it's all right there. I think people lose the ability to really feel for a character and become a part of a story.

Personally, I love books. Like you said Genna, I just love the feeling and smell of them. Especially older books that may have been handed down, or books from your childhood. I do own a kindle and it's great for trips because I don't have to lung around like 5 books anymore. It's really nice and read like a book. However, I o prefer the physical aspect of actual books.

10. Gyldenboy profile image65
    Gyldenboyposted 13 years ago

It depends, on what we're attributing the reading skill to.

For everyday purposes, reading does increase the power of imagination. However, so can 'Dream Theater' or audio books as they call them now. Of course, those are just two ways to increase imagination.

How videos effect imagination, I'd agree they don't really encourage it. Many games however, do challenge the mind. Puzzles, that often require imagination more then knowledge.

I myself am more inclined to read comics, flash fiction, poems, philosophy, nonfiction for research, and play a video games myself. These, are just preferences.

But, there have been amazing books I've read that I've dropped everything else to read. So, I think it's a medium that shouldn't be ignored.

In fact, I think how much more enriching it is to read instead of playing with cellphones, portable gaming devices, or ipads when traveling. Or, when waiting for someone to finish shopping or an appointment.

When I leave home, I make a strict rule for myself not to be a tech junkie. The only gadget I take, is a basic cellphone solely for calling and on occasion, a music player. Otherwise, it's just the book I bring to read.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

11. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 13 years ago

I don't think so, I enjoy the internet but I still love to pick up a book and read it. A lot of information is still better in a book.

12. nakmeister profile image66
    nakmeisterposted 13 years ago

I asked this question on a question and answer site only a few days ago - I asked if people read a lot less than they used to. I've had about 25 responses so far, and all but one or two said they read less than they used to. The internet is just far too easy and tempting!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)