jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

1. dianebowling profile image61
    dianebowlingposted 5 years ago

Am I being too sensitive? Old fashioned? I don't know but I just need to say that using text abbreviations in hubs and other online postings are annoying. They also make postings appear to be written by a fourteen year old. This is only my opinion, however, I feel if you want to be taken seriously spell out your words! Don't use 'ur' 'wat' and others. It makes your writing difficult to read and understand. Those of us that didn't grow up with a cell phone in their hand is not going to get 'ur' abbreviations.
    Just venting!

1. Pcunix profile image88
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Flag 'em.

1. dianebowling profile image61
        dianebowlingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I will.

2. MPG Narratives profile image85
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

I'm with you dianebowling, I hate them. Actually they bother me more in hubs than in comments but both are annoying. There are many I don't understand anyway but I guess I'm just showing my age. LOL (that one I do understand).

Never should they be used in hubs, this is a writing site after all. Spelling errors and grammatical mistakes are not allowed so why should text abbreviations be allowed?

I say flag 'em too.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I'm with you - I hate the "text talk".  Learn to spell and take the few micro seconds to type it correctly.  The computer keyboard is not a phone and you are not charged by the letter!

If a post (or even a hub!) is full of the junk I just glide on by without reading it.  It isn't worth my time to try to figure out what they are actually trying to say.

4. Trish_M profile image89
    Trish_Mposted 5 years ago

No, I don't like 'text-speak' either smile

5. Realkoyoable profile image61
    Realkoyoableposted 5 years ago

To be honest, I don't mind it. Why would there be a reason to dislike it?
           Language, n.:  "c. Such a system as used by a nation, people, or other distinct community; often contrasted with dialect."

I'd say that the internet constitutes a 'distinct' community. Isn't 'text talk' just another dialect by definition?

Goal of communication is to express thoughts, ideas, emotions, commands and information. You all, from what I could tell, understood what the abbreviations meant, so I see no harm.

6. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 5 years ago

It's not just age -- I haven't even hit a quarter-century yet and can't stand it, and never could. Personally, I flag "text talk" because it is difficult to read, it's extremely poor English, and it's anything but professional-looking. We are supposed to be generating quality content and, like it or not, we are supposed to be professionals.

Maybe "text talk" could constitute another dialect, but the TOS clearly states that all hubs are to be written in English, not "txt spk"

1. Realkoyoable profile image61
      Realkoyoableposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think, by your own admission confirmed that 'txt spk' to be in fact English. I see no breach in the ToS if one wishes to use it.

7. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 5 years ago

I agree with you and that is what is helping the dumming down of Americans.  HubPages should flag these Hubs as well.