jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Re-reading books from your youth and discovering hidden layers

1. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

Okay, so I was listening to the radio and heard a talk about "Picture of Dorian Grey" and how it was chock full of homoerotic subtext. I remember reading the book when I was about 16 or 17, and had no memory of homoerotic text, sub or otherwise. So I went and got a copy from the library.

It's totally in there. I guess my 17-year-old self was too self-absorbed to notice it or something.

Who else has re-read books from their youth only to discover that there was more going on in there than you realized at the time? What are those books? What did you discover?

1. shogan profile image88
      shoganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try rereading The Great Gatsby, Jeff, and see what you find.  However you were taught it in high school, you most likely missed most of the book the first time 'round.

2. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

The Bible. Its real value seems to be buried in the contradictions and actions of almost every character in it, making it more akin to comic book violence than a study of how to connect with God. However, there are many layers, and there are messages that could become relevant to those who know how to get past the insanity.

3. 0
    writeasageekposted 5 years ago

What I remember that The Witcher and Night Angel Trilogy is good for re-read. Or Erikson. And Glen Cook as well. Sorry, I just love fantasy fiction books smile

4. WoodsmensPost profile image64
    WoodsmensPostposted 5 years ago

Interesting post.
    I remember reading "My Side of the Mountain" as a youth. I have yet to re-read it but I think I will put this on my list of things to do. It may have played a part in how I made my journey through life. Chances are there just might be some hidden treasures in the book that I may have missed. Great post!!