jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Saturday Night HP Book Club

1. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

So I've just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. It's a teen novel and I wasn't sure I'd like it for that reason alone. Wow, I was floored. I finished the Hunger Games at 1:30 am and had to download Catching Fire immediately.

It's a post-apocalyptic novel about the US after it has been destroyed and now exists in several region. The winning region, somewhere in the Rockies has decreed that each of the other 12 Regions will send two children to the Hunger Games, where they will fight to the death.

The games are treated much the same as our Realty TV shows. With the contestants being given makeovers to make them glamorous. Then every evening highlights are beamed live to all of the regions. After the games have ended the victor goes on a victory tour to all of the other regions.

It has so many layers and is so well written. Have you read this. Or is there another book keeping you awake?

2. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

No, haven't read it but one for my books-to-read list. Just finished one of Michael Connelly's, picked up from a local thrift store. Enjoyable, liked the central character enough to read another. That one was preceded by The Whisperers - John Connolly.

Before that I took a wander through the last Harry Potter book, a great read and I don't care if they're aimed at children!

I got Steven King's latest collection of short stories for Christmas and whipped through that one over the holiday.

It would be easier if I had a specific liking for one genre or another but I'm afraid I'm a book floozy.

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I only have one question -- where the heck do you find time to actually read? I feel totally inferior now. I consider myself lucky if I can just find the time to get my work done, keep the house from becoming a total pigsty and walk the dog occasionally!!!

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They must read 200 words a minute! I can read literally 6 pages of a book before I start skim reading. Four pages later and I have generally forgotton the whole story lol

4. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

lol I read at night, when I go to bed. I have mastered the fine art of falling asleep with my glasses on, book-on-face, looking (obviously) so appealing and gorgeous words can't describe it.

No - really, there are no words big_smile

*and thankfully no pictures either*

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I'm reading Humping Credenzas with the Late Bobby Kennedy on my Kindle. It's a novel about Bobby Kennedy being reincarnated as a furniture mover. He remembers his past but cannot contact his family.

1. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That sounds like one hell of a book. I'm going to download it soon. I haven't heard of it - and I live in Kennedy country. Sounds like a fascinating plot - Did he find out who killed JFK on the other side?

lrohner, like I said I was reading the book at 1:30 am. I have tons of pillows and comforters and I love snuggling up and reading late at night. I am a very fast reader, and nook reading is even faster because of the even formatting. Luckily Leo is also a late night reader so he doesn't object to the NookColor glow eminating from my side of the bed. And my house is dusty and I don't have a dog to walk. Yours has such short legs it must take forever!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, I haven't gotten that far yet smile

6. Mistress of Spice profile image61
    Mistress of Spiceposted 5 years ago

oh wow! Ryankett! bravo welcom book clubber like a pro..huh...well done, the ability (iq) starts off like.....Once a upon a time....affter 6 pages of skim reading....the end Cindrella did find her glass slippers(only to be captived by her rescurer the prince..lol...tc...

Mistress of Spice...

7. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

I make time to read and usually have 2 or 3 books which I am reading depending on where I am in the house or vehicle. I've read well over 10,000 books in my lifetime, not counting those I've read several times.  Reading, rather than writing, is my passion!  smile

8. 0

I also loved the Paris Wife - the story of Heminway's first marriage. It was totally escapist reading. They'd be out having dinner and over would come Picasso. To have such an interesting life!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I also just read I Think I Love You. It's about a girl who was a David Cassidy fan in the 70s in England. She was me, except I was in Canada smile It was a fun read. It actually had a little more literary merit that I thought it would.

I find since I got my Kindle I am reading almost as much as I used to before the Internet came along smile

Paris Wife sounds like I book I should have. I have a collection on the Lost Generation and I am so interested in that period.

9. 0

Everyone I know with a nook or kindle says that they are reading so much more. I think it's because it's so convenient - I now have Humping Credenzas on my wish list - and the reading is so much more comfortable with the ability to change the text size (I'm an extra extra large). My nook is always in my purse or pocket. I just love it.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Well, I just bought The Paris Wife. I get my Amazon payments in a gift card so I always have a balance on my account smile