jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Any Thomas Hardy fans here?

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Hardy is my favorite poet. I like his works of fiction, but not as much as I enjoy reading his poetry.

What's your favorite Hardy poem? I think mine is "The Blinded Bird."

1. classicalgeek profile image89
      classicalgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jude the Obscure, hands down.

2. you suggest one profile image61
      you suggest oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have just finished reading ( yet again )Tess of the Durberville's,still enjoy it,
      Thomas Hardy is my second favourite author,the first being Robert Louis Stevenson

1. your cybersister profile image60
        your cybersisterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had a teacher in junior high school that was a major Thomas Hardy fan and assigned us to read a lot of his work.  I remember just sobbing my heart out through Tess of the D'Urbervilles - it was riveting to me, but I don't think I could ever read it again...

1. you suggest one profile image61
          you suggest oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love Hardy's attention to detail and the way he tells the story,another one I love is " Jude The Obscure"an excellent film too,and of course " The Mayor Of
          Casterbridge"an excellent story of greed and lust,I have read all three several times,take care my friend.

I could handle The Mayor of Casterbridge again.  It was interesting, with lots of twists and turns, but it didn't make me cry,  smile

2. Joy56 profile image59
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

It is a long time since i read Hardy's poetry but somewhere i have a book full of them, i love his work.

In England where i lived as a child, our school had four houses.  Milne Newbolt, Hardy and Masefield.  Hardy seemed to be the best they always won the swimming and most everything else actually.

I will try to find a poem and come back to this thread.  My favourite Hardy film would be Far From The Maddening Crowd.

3. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I enjoy reading some of Thomas Hardy's poetry and have read Tess of the D'Urbervilles twice (and it is unusual for me to read a book twice).

4. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 5 years ago

Every November, like clockwork, I get out my Thomas Hardy and start reading. One of my favourite novels is Far From the Madding Crowd. No matter how often I read it, each time is different from the last. As for poetry, Neutral Tones is my choice. It suits my Hardy mood.

5. aslanlight profile image78
    aslanlightposted 5 years ago

Most definately a fan! I haven't read any Hardy for years though so thanks for reminding me.

6. Jane Bovary profile image88
    Jane Bovaryposted 5 years ago

I'm a Hardy fan but of his novels...I haven't read the poetry. He can be ultra bleak though. One of my favourites is "The Mayor of Casterbridge"...it was  compelling to read about a successful man's life unravelling because of a single (though terrible) action done in youth.

This was the first Thomas Hardy novel that I ever read - it was a school assignment way back in junior high school.  I found it quite interesting, the story flowed rather like a soap opera, which I was addicted to in those days.

7. Capable Woman profile image81
    Capable Womanposted 5 years ago

Mayor of Casterbridge!  Woop Woop.

working