Why Do We Write Continuously

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Why do we write continuously?
    For enjoyment?
    To impress?
    For fame?
    For money?
    To communicate our thoughts?
    Nothing better to do?

1. profile image0
      Sunnie Dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me it is a welcome release into another world. I find I am so happy when I am creating something out of nothing. It is my way of communicating my thoughts and dreams
      Sunnie

2. hoodieweather profile image60
    hoodieweatherposted 12 years ago

To express ourselves!

3. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 12 years ago

sir...what's with this "we" business...yer got a mouse in the pocket?

Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I see you have 26 hubs. Doesn't that qualify?

1. pylos26 profile image70
        pylos26posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sorry...forgot to add "just kidding"...nice meeting ya.

4. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 12 years ago

I keep asking myself the same question?  That is until I seen a post that shared they were making $1700 a month with 500 hubs writing only 4 yrs.

Money is my answer!

5. Katharella profile image74
    Katharellaposted 12 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, I just have words and numbers floating around in my head and I can't seem to get enough of them out! Money would be nice, but I get more satisfaction from the fine people I meet here. (and blogging and vlogging) That's something money cannot buy. smile

6. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

DEFINITELY not for the money! Haha!

7. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

All of the above?  Good question.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

You asked for it, Peter...   lol   Here goes:

Mainly, I write because I enjoy it.  Also, though, I write for money.  I don't write because I have nothing better to do, because I write in spite of having a lot of better, and more pressing, things I should be doing.  I REALLY don't write for fame, because that's the last thing I want.  I don't write to impress anyone, because I'm not one to try to impress people.  Neither do I write to communicate my thoughts because I don't presume people care about what my thoughts are (and I'm fine keeping so many of my thoughts to myself anyway). 

I write because I think too many important ideas and feelings get "lost to the winds" when people don't capture them (for, maybe, future grandchildren/great-grandchildren) in writing.

I write because I like the clicking of the keys.

I write because there are things I've learned about life, and I hate to have what I've learned wasted by keeping it to myself.

I write because I like the idea of maybe "giving someone a little ride" (with some kinds of writing).

I write because I like to be someone who lets other people know they aren't alone.

I write because I tend to live with chronic dissatisfaction and anger in this world, so I feel as if my head will explode if I don't put it into civilized words, put order to the thoughts, and free my head of a lot of it.

I write because too many people misunderstand too many other people, and if I think I can share something I know about some of those "other people", maybe it will help someone understand them better.

I write to defend people I think need defending - some children, elderly people, anyone in a group that is treated poorly, the poor, the wealthy, and on and on and on.  I don't like it when people would prefer to feel superior to someone else, rather than try to understand them.  So, I write to try to share what I can about understanding some of those people who could use as many people speaking up on their behalf as possible.  I write because too many parents don't seem understand their children or even recall being a child themselves.  I write because too many kids truly don't understand where their parents are coming from.

I write because I'm angry at a world that so often treats and sees women the way it does.

I write because I've learned that keeping my thoughts and activities to myself resulted in my being shocked to discover other people would, if given the chance or reason, imagine what I "must be thinking"  - and then form opinions of me based on what they imagine!  roll So, I write because I've learned the hard way (at least for me) that saying what I'm thinking is safer than not.  (It's a problem some women/wives/daughters have more than some other people.)

I write because I imagine that one day my grown kids will find what I've written and understand their mother just that much better (even though now we're far closer than a lot of moms and grown kids are).

I write because I love to put the words together in a way that (hopefully, and when I do it right) makes them become something more than just words on paper or a screen, and makes them become something almost tangible.

I write because when I think of the reasons why I write it makes my heart pound a little and makes me feel just a little on the edge of tears - maybe.

I write because I can (or at least I think I can).

I write because I love the order and science and logic of thoughts put into the right words.

I write because today's world so often seems to have forgotten the importance and power of words, and instead seems so often to think the only thing there is that matters is technology. It's as if the world has forgotten the role of words and writing throughout history.  (Coming from the Boston area, where it was words and ideas at the root of the founding of the country that would become what America has; I've always been particularly aware of the power of words and ideas.  So, in ways, I write because I want to help keep the world from forgetting what words can do.)

I write because, in a world where so many people hate to have to write something or where so many struggle with writer's block or grammar rules, it comes fairly easily to me - so I figure I may as well go with it.

I write because, as middle-aged as I may be, I still have it in my head that there's always the chance I'll write the thing that helps change the world.

I write because I imagine that something I write may somehow manage to help my children know how much I love them.

I write because I like presenting arguments.

I write because I think the most difficult way to "paint a picture" is through the use of something as "dull" and "black-and-white" as letters and words - so I write because it's a challenge.

I write because I like to play with words.

I write because it's separate from the person people see and hear when I'm speaking in person, and from the person about whom others so often seem to make misguided judgments based only on what they see and hear.

I write because writing won't let me go.

I write because I'm in my element when I'm writing.

I write because, in a world and a life in which I seem to have a tendency to have been knocked around quite a bit, writing is the thing that helps keep me grounded in my "me-ness".

I write because writing is as much a part of who I am as my light brown hair and gray-blue eyes are.

I write because my writing is something that is mine, and only mine; and nobody can intrude on it, or take it away from me.

I write because the words are there.

And, I write because even when the words aren't there I know just where to go to find them.   smile

Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whew!! writer's cramp.
      Why don't you put all that good stuff in a hub?

2. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like the basis of a good hub to me Lisa?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peter (thanks) and CM, the thought occurred to me, but I figured it's "purely personal".  hmm

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Oh - and based on the post (that will almost certainly be deleted as soon someone detects it as massive spam that's loaded with tacky links) above this one, I guess I write because I think that - imperfect and human as my writing may be in the eyes of anyone who more values "Internet-focused" writing - the Internet can use some writing that's just a little bit more others-centered than crappy, money-grubbing, spammers' posts are.   mad     (lol )

10. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

My mind is constantly overflowing with thoughts and ideas

They fall and they crash like waterfall waves

Onto a consciousness that can barely withstand their weight.

For me that's why.
    Ray

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I write because I have to.

I am also trying to establish myself as a professional freelance writer.

12. ohsoamberx profile image60
    ohsoamberxposted 12 years ago

I write because I love it. It makes me feel as if I can say what I want, how I want and really its all up to me.

13. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Freedom to create something, I enjoy that very much

14. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

I write for several reasons.  First, it is a great way to express myself creatively on a variety of topics.  It also helps me sort through thoughts and emotions I feel, aiding me to make sense of it all.  Finally, writing helps provide a catharsis for issues that have caused me grief in the past and maybe, just maybe, can help provide a bit of solace to others that have suffered similarly.

15. EL Doll profile image83
    EL Dollposted 3 years ago

Nice answer: because I get to create my own worlds where I am in control and can create whatever I want. It is like an escape.

Real answer: writing is a need. I've been writing since I was a child and it is something that I have come back to time and time again. I don't always enjoy writing but it is simply a need. I can't live without it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)