Writers Conferences & Submitting Manuscripts

1. 0
    Lisa Mae DeMasiposted 5 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a writers conference where I can pay an extra fee to have an agent, editor and a published author read part of my manuscript.  My genre is memoir. 

I just attended Jan Kardy's (literary agent) conference in CT and it was very valuable because I was able to have my manuscript read.  I've revised in considerably since attending though and looking to attend another similar conference in the next 2-3 months. 

I've checked online for conferences but it's difficult to make out which ones have been highly rated.  Would love to hear from someone who knows of a great conference.

1. cdub77 profile image91
      cdub77posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just found your post, but Wordstock happens annually in Portland, Oregon.  There is a fiction contest as well as workshops, seminars, and a large open fair where publishers, agents, and writers have booths.  It just happened last weekend, but next July is the deadline for entering any of the contests.  There's no reason to not start planning now!

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 5 years ago

If you do a quick Google search you'll find that there are many companies and private individuals offering to "get your manuscript to publishing standard".  They will happily take your money while giving absolutely no guarantee that their efforts will actually help.

Check out the Writer Beware site. 

One of the things writers should be aware of is that there are lots of people eager to take your money.  Bogus competitions, useless agents, vanity publishing rackets and manuscript 'fix-it' merchants are just some of these.

Maybe you'd do better to take a creative writing course where you can learn how to be your own editor, or join a writers circle where you'd get feedback for free?  Either way, I'd advise you to carefully research exactly what you'd be getting in return for your coin.