jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Hey manga lovers, who's sad about Tokyopop going under?

1. ambersagen profile image87
    ambersagenposted 5 years ago

I just got the most horrible news from my local Barns and noble casher. How did I miss that Tokyopop is going out of business?! I guess this means that I'll have to work my sister to the bone translating (serves her right for spending years learning Japanese:p)What manga will you guys miss most?

2. 60
    Vienta Quentinposted 5 years ago

You're not the only one. I recently learned of it myself.  Although to be more accurate, they are shutting down the US publishing division.  Granted for us, that's the same as going out of business.

I just hope someone picks up Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo.  It's still an ongoing series in Japan so the chances of a final volume being released by Tokyopop are nil.

3. ambersagen profile image87

I guess I'm lucky that my sister can translate for me but I don't think I can afford to have all my manga shipped over from japan.
    i think I'll really miss Happy cafe, which is the newest one I've been hooked on.

4. Akbok profile image92
    Akbokposted 5 years ago

What are the most notable manga that they publish?  And also if you need them, they do "scanlations" on certain websites.

5. ambersagen profile image87

I'm kind of ticked of at scanlations right now because it pushed them under (also my internet sucks, it's loading pages at like two minutes a page load Xp)! The most notable manga they publish would probably be fruits basket but I have my full collection of that so I'm good smile

6. 60
    Vienta Quentinposted 5 years ago

While I won't disagree that scanalations affect the market, I believe the biggest factor that caused Tokyopop to close it's US publisher is Border's going bankrupt. That and some not so great internal decisions. Granted this is based on what I've read and heard.

Of course, there is a possibility that Tokyopop could come back since they have a publishing center in Germany. So they haven't gone 'out of business' so to speak but that maybe ten to twenty years down the road.

7. Bubblegum Senpai profile image84
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 5 years ago

I will definitely miss Pet Shop of Horrors. In my personal opinion, TokyoPop wasn't all that great - I actually like shojo beat or viz... But still, it always sucks when you lose access to an anime you love.

And I wouldn't blame scanlations. I've read scanlations before, but if I really like something I'll buy the book. I always prefer to have something in hardcopy. Most true Otaku's would do the same. Having it in hardcopy makes for great bragging rights.

I think part of the problem is that anime DVD's - market TokyoPop was also involved in - are so expensive. I mean, $60 for nine episodes on two discs is a little overboard.

8. iviskei profile image80
    iviskeiposted 5 years ago

I heard they they will still be operating and producing in Germany. It's still really sad to be losing the US branch! I have a lot of favs from Tokyo Pop and they will all be missed. u_u