Have You Always Had The Desire To Write

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

I have been reading several peoples profiles.  It seems many of us, have always wanted to spend time writing, even from being children.

How about you........ Did you write even as a child, and always imagined one day being a famous writer.

I love to write.  English was always my fave subject..... Communicating is very important to me.

What made you want to write?????????????????

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  The desire was there from childhood, and some of the actual writing.

2. profile image51
      FelineFranceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used write fantasy write stories as a child. I always was interested in drawing and writing. I really want to be a famous writer. I think one of the reasons I write is because I actually do not know how to communicate my thoughts well verbally. It is a lot easier for me to be honest on paper than with others and even myself sometimes.

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

any takers

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I didn't really write as a child.  My thing was drawing.  I loved English in school, though, and it was kind of effortless and fun for me.  I loved grammar and composition.  As a kid who tried to keep a low profile in school, I'd accidentally end up getting some attention to something I'd written as an assignment because a teacher liked it, and other kids ended seeing it (like when a teacher put a story I'd done for homework in the school paper).  Not one of my proudest skills, but I was good at writing book reports on books I hadn't read (or had only read a paragraph here or there in).  roll  Anyway, my close girlfriends had come to see me as "the writer among us" and would occasionally ask me to write something for them (like a college-admissions essay  roll or a cover letter to get an interview for school or work - again, roll). 

As you can see, except for the nice thing about getting effortless "A's " in English, my writing beginnings weren't of the most admirable sort.  lol

Looking back on my "early days", though, there's something that kind of means a lot to me, now, as adult.  My two closest girlfriends just always talked about how I "could write".  I'd talk about how I might write a book one day, but I was only seeing that as something I might do "on the side" - never as being "nothing but an author". 

So, it was usual, when we three girlfriends would be talking about what we thought our futures held, for my two friends to talk about how they knew I'd write a book one day, and how I might end up "on the Johnny Carson".   roll  Every so often the issue of my one day writing a book and ending up on the Tonight show would be brought up by one of them (lol), and once the conversation went so far as to include what I might wear when I made my appearance.  (and again, roll  lol )

Well, life went on (and actually it didn't go on past 20 for one of those friends, which may make the memory more poignant and meaningful to me), and my friend and I went our own ways after several years.  The thing is, even though I've since had people who don't seem to question whether I could ever write that book or not, I've not since had a time when someone (like those two friends) took it so for granted that there was no way in heck I would not write that book and end up being famous because of it.  (I don't want to be famous, by the way.  I almost quit a good job because I was expected to do a presentation for the whole company.  I'm phobic about public exposure.)

It wasn't until I was single and out of school that I started to dabble in a little writing (but not much, because I was being young, being single, working, and dating). 

Whether it was with my girlfriends or with my then boyfriend, I'd always say that my aim was to be published by the time I was 30.  Well, the book hadn't yet happened because by then I had two children.  Not long after a third was on the way.  That's when I knew I had to find work I could do with 3 young children (and not let my resume "get stale), and that's when I applied for newspaper work and public relations work.  That was when I started regularly freelancing for the first time.

On the one hand, I feel like I've always been a "writer by Nature".  I know I've been collecting ideas for one thing or another in my head, but finding time to indulge those ideas hasn't been a luxury I've had (mostly because I've been happily living the rest of my life and haven't wanted to make those ideas a priority, beyond just "when I have the time").  On the other hand, while I find the act of writing fun, I almost see it as so much a part of me that I take it for granted, the way I take walking for granted.  hmm  Then again, I actually had much of the research and a completed outline for that one book all together, but when I got divorced I also ended up getting separated (physically) from the files that contained the outline and the rest of the material with it.

For me, I guess, writing has both been a part of my nature and also run alongside my life (and at one time or another been a part of it in some way), but it's also always been something I do for someone else (either a friend, a client, an employer, or even any readers).  It's just fairly recently that I've started to notice I'm getting the urge to write as a way of expressing myself, regardless of all those other purposes. (Of course, at this stage in life I'm about sick to death of writing at all, so I don't know what's going to happen from here.  lol  lol  )

4. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

Thanks Lisa, that was a  great answer, you could almost make a hub out of it.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Joy, but it would be "purely personal" as a  Hub (unless, of course, I called it, "How to Not Really Follow Through on Your Interest in Writing", and then number the paragraphs.  big_smile

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Not really.  I only started writing seriously in my late 20s.

6. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

I guess I did.

As a child, I drew a lot and I got in the habit of creating stories during bedtime (I had bouts of insomnia so I needed to find ways to pass the time). So although I wasn't writing, I was often storytelling.

When I got slightly older (11 years old), I wrote my first story. It was quite long and I was proud of myself - until I lost the notebook I wrote it in! sad

After that, I wrote a lot of fanfiction, poetry, lyrics, and even one original piece of long fiction. Although I quite liked my story, the writing actually got worse over the chapters as I switched from the very formal way of writing that I used when I was 12-13 to a more casual style in the later years (16-17). I actually got worse as a writer over the years, probably because of all the fanfiction I used to read. That's why I never considered publishing my story as a book as it'd honestly need a full rewrite for all chapters past chapter 3.

After that, I had and still have difficulty writing stories. That's why now I'm focusing on educational writing (article and the phonics reference and workbooks I'd like to publish sometime this year). I hope I eventually get over this 6+ year fiction writer's block, but until then fanfiction's alright.

I'm thinking of writing short fiction stories/humor pieces to hopefully kick my fiction writer's block out.

7. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Yep. Second and Third Grade whenever we were assigned a composition, I always wrote a short story. And in the 4th Grade I had a weekly newsletter that I wrote on constuction paper that I think five of my classmates subscribed to.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I was a young writer, and loved it. Just ended up quitting for fun, but if you ask any of my ex boyfriends over the years, they probably got garbage bags full of letters I've wrote. lol Wouldn't it be nice to have them all back at the moment. lol

8. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Ever since I could read. I cannot remember ever not wanting to write. I was so taken with reading that I wanted to create books. I even wrote stories on paper and clipped them together...illustrations and all.

9. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

I wanted to be a writer from a my teen years but was told it was impossible to make money doing it.

I was encouraged to go into graphic design and illustration because of my artistic ability I showed from an early age. They failed to tell me the pay wasn't very good there either.

Now I'm working to prove them wrong on the writing and get out of graphics all together.

10. Eiddwen profile image74
    Eiddwenposted 12 years ago

I have always written and won many competitions when is school throughout the County here in Wales.
    I loved writing essays when in school also. As my children were growing up I wrote many stories for them . However it is only now that I am sharing my writing and I am really enjoying myself.
    Also my writing has helped me through many a rough road.

11. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 12 years ago

Yes, I always had the desire to write when I was a child. When I was in my elementary grades, I suffer from asthma that I sometimes went to school for only a half day in a week. I was always absent in a class but the teacher knew why. It was known to the other classmates about my illness and they kept teasing on me and giving me names like "asthmatiker" or so. I became an outcast and did not have a friend. I was shy then and just cried about the humilation that I suffered.

At home when I was absent again, I used to write stories in my notebook, anything that came into my mind and in the end burnt the finished write ups just not to be read by anybody else because I donĀ“t like to be tease about my imagination. Then when I reached my puberty my asthma was gone and enjoyed my teenage life and forgot to write.

It was when I get married and living in Germany that I started to write again though in my diaries and my journals just to voice out what I felt and experienced being in a foreign country. My husband know about my hobby and bought a typewriter for me and he was the only one who was allowed to read my writings until I discovered HubPages.

12. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think that as a child I started to use my imagination to cteate stories when we moved from a place with a garden to a apartment with no garden. Trapped within four walls, I read a lot of books and created my own stories as a result. Until recently life took up the time I would have used for writing or painting. Now, I try hard to find the time to write or paint as feels important for me to create something.

13. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I started with reading.I was taught late, when I was 6 years old. One summer day I was "fished out" from some sand box where I was happily making sand castles,brought into my room, cleaned a little, given an ABC book and told, 'now you are going to learn how to read.' I was devastated, I did not like the process, I cried, and all I wanted just to play outside... But when I learned how to do that, I could not stop reading. I was reading everywhere, I was reading everything I could get my hand on. I still haven't finished reading. As soon as I do, I will start writing, I promise... big_smile

14. kat11 profile image60
    kat11posted 12 years ago

When I was little I played school with my stuffed animals and I was the teacher.  I was always writing or drawing something. That was the only way I felt comfortable expressing any angry or happy feelings. As I got older I kept a journal that I wrote poems, short stories, and drawings in all the time. My grandparents during the summer months had an afternoon quiet time and I would read a book, draw or write during those hours. I still enjoy all of them.

15. susanlang profile image58
    susanlangposted 12 years ago

I wanted to write a book but had no time in the past. Then in 2009 things changed and writing one became my mission. Today I'm on the forth chapter of my second book. So far so good smile

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 9 years agoin reply to this

We love to write..... I always did..... How about you?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)