Favourite and Least Favourite Fairy Tales and Myths

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Jakob Dailes profile image61
    Jakob Dailesposted 12 years ago

Lots of fairy-tales and myths have been tragically altered over the years (I'm looking at you, Disney). Don't take me wrong, I love Disney and all that, but there's things they do to literature that gave me a GOOD reason to draw a picture of me throwing Mickey Mouse into an incinerator...
    So, I'd like to know what your favourite and least favourite fairy-tales are, and I just hope I can change at least one person's mind about fairy tales and myths being lame or weird. So... WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE AND LEAST FAVOURITE FAIRY TALE OR MYTH?

Jakob Dailesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd also like to say AND WHY IS IT?

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Hard when who thinks of such things? I like then - 'Jack and the Beanstalk'. No non-favorites come to mind.

Why do u like the story?

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My favorite would have to be Alice in Wonderland. Least favorite would definitely be Cinderella.

Why do you like/dislike them? (I'm looking for scenes or themes in them that u like/don't like.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love the mad hatter and the cheshire cat. I guesss I love it because the whole thing is so odd. I fell back in love with it after watching sci fi's little two part movie. It's just so quirky.

I hate Cinderella because I don't think anyone should think finding some prince to marry is a worthy aspiration. The whole Prince Charming genre of fairy tales should be shelved.

Actually, the original fairy tale conveyed Cinderella as going out to find her Prince, not waiting at home for one. The Grimm version (my favourite Cinderella) even has Cinderella getting HERSELF ready for the ball. No fairy-dependency required. Very feminist.

1. profile image0

You are joking? Whether they met by accident, or she went looking; the story still has a woman looking for a husband. As if that is what women are expected to aspire to. I don't see it as feminist, at all.

So you don't ever wanna find ur true love?

1. profile image0

True love doesn't consist of finding prince charming. That's fairy tale. That whole storyline degrades the strengths and value of a woman. I think it's am emotionally stunted way to view a relationship. But, that's just me.

Prince Charming is a metaphor for your true love. It's like that in all fairy tales with him. Just like Princess Charming is my true love.

1. profile image0

No. Prince Charming represents wining the lottery or something. He's a Prince. It means you get wealth, title, position and power. Simply by snaking the right guy. She didn't work for anything. She just became an extension of some guy.

I can see your perspective about Princess Charming though. I guess the Cinderella type is a lot of guy's dream girl.

2. Jakob Dailes profile image61

btw, have u seen the Hallmark version of Alice in Wonderland? I think it's the best EVAH.

1. profile image0

I haven't. I'll keep an eye out; but if it beats sci fi I'll be shocked. Kathy Bates was perfect as the Queen of Hearts, and the scene where Alice first met the Hatter was hilarious. I have it recorded and I'll play it three or four times before I continue on in the movie.

You can see the Hallmark version on YouTube if u want. It's awesome! I haven't seen the sci-fi version i'll admit. I'll have to check it out.

4. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

I like them all really, I really don't dislike any that I know of. 

Of course I worked in a daycare center and we were always reading books to the kids so I came to appreciate them for what they were.

While some entertained and some had a moral and still some were meant to teach something thats what I liked about them.

As far as Disney goes I have always liked disney and really I feel in this day and age if it weren't for disney or other forms of entertainment most kids would never even become familiar with any of these stories. Even if disney does take certain liberties at times. 

I really liked fairy tales but I also like fables and mother goose stories for little children.

Certain liberties at times? You understand that in the original Snow White, the queen tried to kill Snow 3 times before ultimately dying at the end when she (depending on which edition of the Grimm's fairy tales you read) either had a heart attack from seeing Snow White still alive, or was forced to dance to death in hot iron slippers at Snow's wedding. In the original Cinderella, the stepsisters tried so hard to get the shoe on that their feet bled (in some versions they even secretly cut off their heels and toes to fit, but of course were discovered by the blood running out of the shoe). There are many more morbid yet slightly wonderful elements of the stories that were eliminated or completely altered by Disney for their movies (some that weren't even gory but simply weren't good enough to be in the movie). The Disney movies are GREAT, but claiming to be the original fairy tales is where I draw the line.

1. Diane Inside profile image74
        Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think disney ever said that these were the original fairy tales in their entirety.  but I could be wrong.

In any case most people don't know the whole story of any of them and unless they take an interest in looking them up they never will.  At least they do get a small story about them. 

I personally would love to see more done with Hans Christian Anderson stories as well.

5. Extinct Soul profile image61
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

Of all the myths I've read. I can't seem to forget about the story of Pygmalion and Galatea..big_smile so I guess that happens to be my favorite..

and ahmm..Cupid and Psyche's story too..

Ah yes. Those r good ones. Cupid and Psyche is up there in my "Favourite Myths" list. Why do u like them?

1. Extinct Soul profile image61
        Extinct Soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh yes I forgot the "why?"

With Pygmalion and Galatea..their story was such a myth, a story that could never happen but was still aspired  by those who read it..wouldn't it be nice if you could make your partner in your own patern...lolz

and with Cupid and Psyche, it was just mushy story. the love-match god startled by a glance of a girl, accidentally scratch himself with his own arrow and fell inlove. tongue

(I hate this kind of conversation, makes me feel all so girly inside..lol)

I'm prescribing "Lily and the Lion" (by the Grimms), "The Black Bull of Norway", and "East O' the Sun, West O' the Moon" (by Abjornson and Moe). For ur girly feeling, I'm prescribing several blockbuster action movies and a quick glance at the Grimms' fairy-tale "The Juniper Tree".

1. Extinct Soul profile image61
            Extinct Soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks, I'll search for them now...wink

6. CreativeReaction profile image59
    CreativeReactionposted 12 years ago

Personally, I am a bit on the morbid side.  Any of the Grimm fairy tales tickle me.  I love the story of Baba Yaga.  Who doesn't want a house personified as a chicken?

Same here. ha. I actually find the gruesome bits of the Grimm's fairy tales nice and classic. It gives the fairy tale that special umph that makes it memorable (it's hard to forget the image of white heavenly doves bloodily pecking out the eyes of Cinderella's sisters).

7. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 12 years ago

I've recently written my second monologue-form adaptation to the fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood. I would have to say that story is one of my favorite fairy tales. But, Goldilocks and various others come to mind, too. In fact, on one of my websites, I'm adapting 500+ fairy tales to be skits, plays and such. Admittedly, the technical aspects are a lot less fun than the fairy tales themselves.

Make sure you follow the originals! (I wanna see Lil' Red eating parts of her gramma!)

1. ProCW profile image80
        ProCWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope. This adaptation is more friendly than not. smile

Aw man...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)