jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Reading and Writing

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

What genres do you read when you are reading for fun?  Is it the same genre as your own writing, or do you find yourself analysing books in the genre in which you write instead of simply enjoying the book for its own sake?

1. JayeWisdom profile image94
      JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My favorite reads are most types of novels formerly known as the "mystery." That label includes thrillers, police procedurals, courtroom dramas, private eye tales, amateur sleuths (but not the "cozy" version), locked-room mysteries, etc. 

Another fave read is the autobiography, followed by the biography. I prefer the memoirs written entirely by the person who lived them.

When a book "grabs" me from the first page and captures my full attention due to good writing, full-fleshed characters and a terrific story, I do not get caught up in analysis. Instead, I get lost in the story.

It is only when this doesn't occur that the writing itself becomes a distraction. That is when I begin to analyze the book...if I keep reading it at all.

2. 0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

I like reading novels for fun. But they are in different genres all the time. I don't write as much as I should, but there is a great book that I recommend to anyone who enjoys writing or reading novels. It's called How Not To Write a Novel. Very sarcastic and funny. Great read!

3. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

I love Anthony Burgess and also Douglas Adams. Or any kind of outrageous scifi that also maintains a humorous tone.
    But I also love to read non-fiction like the stuff abt poorly covered news stories, recent NASA/CIA/DOD declassifications and stories abt the space probes are fun to read also.
    When not for fun, I just thumb through the dictionary.

4. John Sarkis profile image78
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

I like to read Dostoevsky and Kafka.  And I also enjoy reading philosophers like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.  It seems that you can read the same Kafka and Kierkegaard passage over and over again and interpret a new meaning each time.  Sort of like a Chopin Nocturne - the messages in these great works are timeless....  That said, I love to read car magazines - reading about any type of vehicle fascinates me.  But to answer the question, yes, sometimes Dostoevsky and Chopin just won't do it for me, so I watch a really wacky 50's sci-fi film, where everyone is wearing a really cheap Halloween custome....

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

One of the reasons I asked this was that even after more than a decade after I graduated from university, I can't seem to stop myself from analysing classics like Joyce, Kipling, etc., as if I am going to write an essay for class.  Of course, not all genres would be studied in class, but I find that books that could be analysed for an English Essay still affect me the same way.  I still enjoy them, but I have to  catch myself from thinking-hey! maybe I should write down how I'm reacting so that I can see if my opinion changes...

6. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I read all over the place. I have a long, long list of great literature from around the world and accross time that I read from because I believe to be a good writer, you have to read great writing. Plus, I love the philosophy and human context I get from them, particularly as it relates to stopping the swelling of our contemporary egos, oh we who in our generations are always so sure ours is the one that has some sort of significance in the arc of humanity.

I read science fiction and fantasy for pure escapism, though often science fiction provides far more than that.

I read history, philosophy, science based work, religious texts and even economics stuff because they're just plain interesting, and I like to learn and have my ideas reshaped from time to time. It's amazing how much inspiration you can get by reading outside your comfort zone. Well worth the effort.

I read popular/contemporary lit to keep up with what's happening in the "real world" although admittedly not as much as I should.

7. MichelleA2011 profile image59
    MichelleA2011posted 5 years ago

I primarily read fiction. And within fiction I read a lot of Young Adult titles, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, thrillers, suspense, mysteries, science fiction and fantasy. I've also been known to read nonfiction that interests me.

As for my writing, I am strictly a fiction writer. My novel (which is almost complete) falls into the genre of romantic suspense. I also like to write short stories using prompts to get the ideas flowing.

I also like reading series type books as I enjoy watching the character grow and change throughout the series.

My writing has been influenced by Daytime television, namely General Hospital, which I grew up watching and still watch.