jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Did the FBI Push Hemingway to Suicide?

1. thaivalentine profile image61
    thaivalentineposted 5 years ago

Interesting article, what are your thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/ju … -hemingway

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Every time I visit Ernest Hemingway's house in Key West I ask myself why he did it. It's possible that the FBI might have added to his paranoia, but he was already mentally disturbed. One of my favorite writers of all time.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I doubt it. He had had suicidal thoughts since he was in his 20s.

However, I don't doubt Hoover didn't try to make his life miserable. Hoover was a nasty SOB.

3. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

Hoover was the biggest sexual black-mailer in history. Not an opinion. Factual. As the new popular book 'Sex in America' points out.  He had files on everyone he thought could be a threat to his position and power. Suicide most definitely ran in Hemingway's family line. His beautiful granddaughter/actress Margot being a fairly recent example. Why would Hemingway be any different from the thousands of others that Hoover had far more damaging info on that didn't take that step. Whats the financial situation of the 13 year friend. Not saying it isn't as this gentleman believes but these points should be known.

4. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I had heard he committed suicide because they gave him shock therapy, and then he lost his memory and couldn't write anymore.

5. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

As with so many great artists with  brilliant minds, mental illness is a definite possibility , conspiracy theories belong to the survivors in his death. You  can blame anyone for suicide , but! It was there ....waiting in the shadows as it always is with its victims...... No cause no cure! He suffered from depression, alcoholism , isn't that enough?

6. Happyboomernurse profile image90
    Happyboomernurseposted 5 years ago

This article was sad because while I don't believe the FBI file and surveillence would have been the only reason Hemmingway committed suicide, it would surely have been distressing to a man already experiencing symptoms of mental illness.
    Thanks for posting this intriguing question.