Publishing a story I have on HP?

1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

If I have a short story on HP and it's accepted for publishing, print or ebook, should I unpublish the one on HP?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..yes...take it down

2. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

It all depends on how it's published and the contract you have with the publisher.

A short story may be a little different, but this type of thing has happened to me before.  It really depends on the agreement you have with the publisher.

For instance, I've had several articles published in local (Oklahoma) publications but retained the rights to keep the articles published online. I sold the articles for a (very!) nominal rate to be published in print media, as long as I received residuals from their sales and they included my website address. After a predetermined amount of time has passed, I'm allowed to re-sell the article if I so choose.  I don't make much money on the publishing side, but I retain the rights and earn income from "outside" visitors.

On the other hand, I've sold two articles outright.  Since those articles were published in larger venues, I could not retain the rights to those articles.  I had to remove those articles from HP and am not allowed to republish them unless I change at least 40% of the text - which I did with my Bartlesville article.

I would assume that with a short story, it would be sold outright.  It all really depends on your contract with the publisher.