jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (21 posts)

Your own novel !!

1. Eiddwen profile image66
    Eiddwenposted 5 years ago

How many of you out there have a novel on the go,you know it has potential but you can't get yourself into gear to get beyond the first chapter ?

1. deajuly profile image61
      deajulyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Personally I have finished 4 novels withing the last 6 years translating them in English, and now I have Volume 5 in process of being written or rather polishing away, timed to the winter holydays.

2. 0
    adeaugustusposted 5 years ago

By counting, i have written a whole lot of novels that has never made it to the last page. After getting to the middle, another idea comes in. But recently i have cultivate the habit of writting, and relaxing a little bit before continuing, and it has really been helpful.

3. Richard Craig profile image75
    Richard Craigposted 5 years ago

I have 6 on the go at the moment.  If I had the time to write them all I would.  The trouble is when your working on one book,you think of a situation and before you know it you've got another idea for a whole other story.

I am focusing hard on one at the moment. It's actually a re-write of one I started about a year ago. 8 days in and I'm about halfway through the 2nd chapter.  It's a confusing story which makes it tricky to write, but I won't give up this time.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

You only write a book, by writing a book.  Do whatever it takes whether it is scheduling time, getting family to enforce daily work goals, taking a long weekend off to get a chunk done all at once... whatever works with your personality.

5. bellawritter23 profile image81
    bellawritter23posted 5 years ago

I have one as well " The Ballerina and The Sad Violin" got to chapter 8 but cant get chapter 9 out hopefully soon. I agree with all the others...

1. jkhan profile image60
      jkhanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have got ideas but never got round to actually writing any. I've been thinking about those same ideas for years until now that I've taken a few steps towards attempting at writing something.  I can't wait to see my own novel published and available at  a famous high street book shelf (and make millions). No not like J.K. Rowling. You can't beat her - legend. I will dream on.

2. Eiddwen profile image66
      Eiddwenposted 5 years ago

I think that so many of us can relate to these commnets.I have a novel and the whole concept is in my mind but I really do need a good push to get me going. that's why I thought that maybe we can spur each other on and you never know it may just work.
      Thanks for all replies and any more will be greatly appreciated.

1. Denise Handlon profile image88
        Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Consider this your push:  JUST DO IT !   smile 

Ever hear of NaNoWriMo?  Check it out...it's a 50,000 word challenge.

3. CMHypno profile image89
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

I have been using this downturn in traffic to concentrate on finishing writing my science fantasy novel for older kids.

I have been working on it sporadically for about 5 years, but have now just hit the 70,000 words mark and aim to finish the first draft in the next two weeks.

Then comes the real hard work! smile

1. Angel Thomas profile image61
        Angel Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have been writing my novel for a while now. I just now seriously started devoting time to it and so far I am up to about 70,000 word mark as well. I don't find it hard to make myself write, I find I get stuck sometimes and then can't force myself to sit down and come up with a solution to move the story along.

1. CMHypno profile image89
          CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Up to 86,000 words now and the end of the first draft is in sight! Hope your writing is coming along too! smile

4. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Well I don't have time to sit down and write a novel (that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it!!)

But I do have a book selling site that is doing quite well, and am happy to include any hubber's books. Email me.

5. 0
      Binaya.Ghimireposted 5 years ago

I start writing a short story. For few months I continuously write. Then suddenly I find, it is getting bigger than a short story. I decide to make it a novel, but I'm always lost. It is  more than a short story but not a novel.

1. 0
        Longhunterposted 5 years ago

I have outlines working on two novels. My biggest problem is finding the time to write.

2. Cardisa profile image90
        Cardisaposted 5 years ago

I have written 4 chapters and now stuck...... smile

3. Heymichelle profile image61
        Heymichelleposted 5 years ago

My dad likes to say that if Sarah Palin can write a book and make a movie, anyone can. I have a story underway that I've been working on for a couple of months, I have a lot of time so I think it's coming together nicely. I haven't hit that point yet but when I do I'm sure I'll get by, anyone can.

4. wayseeker profile image93
        wayseekerposted 5 years ago

About three months ago I finished the second draft of a novel of around 130,000 words (after about a year and a half of work).  Perseverance and endurance were the key words while cranking it out.  There were times in the middle when I was writing some really horrible stuff, just to move forward.  Once I got through the first draft, however, it was fairly easy to go back and remove the ugly stuff as the piece had developed a definable shape.  Currently, I'm in the process of revising it for a third time to move towards seeking an agent.

In the end, I'm not convinced I would have finished it had it not been for the fact that it was the thesis for my MFA in creative writing.  Now that I've done it once, however, I highly expect I'll be doing it again and again.

My approach was to just keep on writing and write down all those new ideas I had (yes, I got distracted in the middle, too) in a notebook so I could return to them later.

1. Dardia profile image83
          Dardiaposted 5 years ago

I have made it past the first 5 chapters but have not had time to myself to even think lately,  so it is on hold. My biggest problem is keeping myself from reading it over and over and sharing it with family and friends before I have a first draft.

2. lex123 profile image69
          lex123posted 5 years ago

I have my debut novel "The Second Choice" published last month. I have also made the ebook version with smashwords, which is there on my profile page.

3. calpol25 profile image77
          calpol25posted 5 years ago

I have written three novels, sadly the book market is quite slow here in Britain but my publisher thinks that next year should pick up so she may publish them then...... :-)