jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Money From Poetry

1. row777 profile image60
    row777posted 5 years ago

How would one go about making money off of their poetry? Are there any places online that you get paid to be a poet?

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I would suggest you put together a E-Book of your poems and sell it on Amazon and via blogs. Poetry isn't a true money maker because it doesn't have a consumer following. Reading sure, purchasing, not likely.

If you can make a decent profit from an E-Book, it's one source. You could even make profit from a blog promoting your poems, which would be a second source.

The more resources you use, the better. You need readers. It won't make you much on HP. Or at least I haven't made much from my poems on HP. A click here or there and not for much.

Hope that helps.

row777posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Cagsil, the E-book sounds like a good idea, thanks!

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. smile

3. chanroth profile image66
    chanrothposted 5 years ago

You can always submit your work to publisher company for greeting cards. When they accept you, you can make money like that. I published my own book and write poetry on hub. Freelancer poet are always on the clock...lots of opening if your work is approve by the publisher. you can get paid really well up to $100 a poem. Selling your work is awesome but you also would have to enjoy them. smile

Chanroth do you have any particular publishers in mind and have you done this?

4. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Money from poetry, that maybe an oxymoron. smile

Haha yeeaahh was kinda thinking that smile

5. chanroth profile image66
    chanrothposted 5 years ago

hmm try this website http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/201 … y-markets/ this website has list of publisher that you could send your poem too. making money from poetry is pretty hard because publisher are picky. I am a freelance poet. so far, I am getting contact with poetry magazine and just submit few of my lines to them. Never hurt to try. Self publishing is also good as well...I had my book publish thru lulu.com which you can purchase their promotion to get your book promoted to library that cost about 150 dollar or you could pay $75 to get your book being sold on barnes and noble. smile

6. row777 profile image60
    row777posted 5 years ago

Thanks a ton, that helps a lot:)

7. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

It is extremely unlikely that will will make a lot of money from poetry. The few professional poets tend to actually make their money from teaching, grants, speaking fees etc.

The exceptions would be applied poetry such as greeting card work

working