jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)

Selling Poetry on Poetry.com

1. row777 profile image60
    row777posted 5 years ago

I've come across Poetry.com through another website helping poets to make money from and publish their poetry. Poetry.com has you submit up to 4 poems per submission and they pay $150 per poem. So I was wondering if there was anybody out there who has used Poetry.com before or another website like it?

2. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Well, I am wondering if they pay $150 per poem and they have 14,000,000 poems on there how are they making a profit?

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image85
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

About 10 years ago, Poetry.com took a few of my poems and published them in an anthology. I never received  a dime but was asked to purchase the books. I contacted them, no answer. For me, It was a scam. The fact that they are still around, means maybe they aren't a scam; however, I do not trust them and would advise going the route of self publish.

1. couturepopcafe profile image62
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They make or have in the past made a profit by selling the anthologies to the authors and their families. It's like vanity publishing, the author just want's to see his name in print. I think it may have worked 20 years ago but not as much today. Could be wrong. I know they've been around for some 20-30 yrs.

4. Hyphenbird profile image95
    Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

I have not seen anything that mentions payment for poetry. This seems to be a website community where writers can post. No payment is offered or given. The terms of Service include a waiver of lawsuit options. I would proceed with caution.

5. row777 profile image60
    row777posted 5 years ago

Thanks guys, your feedback is much appreciated. I think i'm going to go the route of creating an Ebook.

6. HattieMattieMae profile image69
    HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago

I had one poem published through there once, and you end up paying for the book of 50.00 at the time. They make money off you, and never was paid for the poem. Just a scam I think mostly! smile

7. HattieMattieMae profile image69
    HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago

Shouldn't say it's a scam, the book is nice, but think they are just after your work to make them money! smile

8. babstu profile image61
    babstuposted 5 years ago

ok  it will be fun if they can pay what they promise to pay and also make their own income.

9. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Old poetry.com was a branch of Watermark and basically a scam. They closed a few years ago and the domain named was bought by the self-publishing company lulu.com. They are a display site and they do not pay--let alone 150 bucks!

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

10. 0
    Home Girlposted 4 years ago

I sent them an old limerick of mine I think around year 2007. After that for a year and a half they've been praising me, asking me to buy this and that, all kind of memorabilia and the anthology with my limerick included, but I did not have at that time any money to send them, so everything ended in nothing, for me at least. So I don't know if it is a scam or not.

11. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

In 2007 it was a scam.  These days it is a just a vanity outfit (under different ownership).

12. LoriSoard profile image80
    LoriSoardposted 4 years ago

Long-time scam. Publish them yourself. Remember that the money should always flow to the writer and not away from the writer. The only exception is when you self-publish, but please don't pay someone thousands of dollars to publish something for you. You can easily do it yourself for a fraction of that and maintain complete control.

13. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Poetry Foundation is a reputable literary website and publishes the magazine Poetry.
    You can submit poems there, but it's not easy to be published. Here is a link. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrym … ubmissions

It's also a good site to read decent poetry.

Poetry.com is a scam, money making site.

Was a scam. Now owned by LuLu

14. paxwill profile image81
    paxwillposted 4 years ago

Reputable literary magazines don't pay that much for poetry because there's less of a market for it than there is for short stories or novels.  If a publisher is offering that much for individual poems, you should be suspicious.

15. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Many years ago, I sent them a piece of doggerel (perfectly rhymed and metrically consistent doggerel may I add!) about how they were a scam. They emailed to say how much they loved my poem and had decided to publish it lol

It would have been hilarious to buy the book and thus ensure my doggerel appeared in whatever number of copies are produced for each bunch of victims, but I resisted the temptation.