jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Borders sent me their "Fond Farewell" letter

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

Email just received from Borders is titled "Fond Farewell" as they close their doors forever. hmm

but.... now everything is on sale beginning at midnight 7/22/11.

Happy Shopping!

1. manthy profile image83
      manthyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well that is sad if you think about it another business is closing.

2. 0
      klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

sad so sad!

2. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I wonder who the chancer was who grabbed the bordersclosing dot com and wrote a site in the most atrocious grammar ever. His quotes are laughable. Sad git!

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

ha! i just looked.. I think it was electronically spun.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

yes, I just saw mine also, it's very sad when bookstores close. sad

4. WriteAngled profile image89
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Bookstores are closing because many people do not wish to read any more.

They have been mollycoddled by the spin doctors and SEO-mongers of the Internet to believe that all knowledge can be found in a 400-word article written for a reading age of 5 years, or preferably in a video.

The blind lead the blind, the dumb lead the dumb and the morons lead the morons.

Content is king as long as it feeds the short attention spans of the illiterate masses. Yahoo Answers and About.com hold the truth; do not seek it in deeper pools.

5. rebekahELLE profile image91

Some of these stores can't compete with the e-readers. Barnes and Noble were very smart to sell their own reader, as it still brings customers into the store, as well as additional revenue. Borders couldn't compete with that along with the Kindle. Google books has an e-reader, phones..

and sadly, many simply don't read books.

6. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

The strange (or not so strange) thing about ebook readers is that it is a US phenonemon.

I think the latest statistics said that that ebooks sales have outstripped print books.

In the US.

Not so in the rest of the world, and I think in part that may be due to high telephony charges. Every Kindle Amazon sells comes with free downloading in the US.

Here in Spain, I can't even look at a Kindle because the downloading charges would add another $10 to the price of the book!

That said, you may well be right in that the popularity of the ebook has brought about the downfall of the bookstore dealing only in print books. I hope that is what it is anyway.

7. rebekahELLE profile image91

Izzy, I just found this interesting article. Sad, but informative.
    http://tommytoy.typepad.com/tommy-toy-p … to-sa.html

I think it's sad that young people are not reading 'book' books.
    Although I love my Kindle, I still read hardcover books.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it is sad.  While I have a library of hundreds of "real" books, I do not own an e-book reader of any kind and don't want one.

I will have to be drug, kicking and screaming, into the world of e-books.

8. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

Ya know, I've never been a big Borders books fan.  I always thought of them as a mini-Barnes and Noble, but with higher prices and only semi-decent customer services.  Still, it's sad to see them go out of business.

Personally, I think Books-a-Million is a lot better than either Borders or Barnes and Noble.  Apparently, they are going to buy 30 Borders locations, which, to me, is a positive sign.  I think that many of the stores that are closing will be bought out by different companies, and the book sales will continue.

While the e-books have changed a lot of things, there will always be a market for hard-bound books.  B&N, BAM, and a good majority of the smaller new and used book stores that I frequent are always jammin' with people. 

There's just something special about holding an actual book in your hands..