jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Suggest a common error

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago

Hi all!

I've just published two more hubs in my "How to..." series. The latest being a Master List of of commonly misused words. In an effort to make it the most comprehensive list (besides the dictionary) I solicit your help!

If you submit a word vs. word that is commonly misused via comments or email and I add it to the list, then I will back link to your name and give you all the glory!

Brupie was the first when he suggested famous vs infamous!

Thanks!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One I have often have trouble with myself is insure/ensure.

Ah...I see you already have that on the list smile

R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe I have listed that one.. If not I will do so and credit you with a backlink to your profile. thanks!

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

For me one of the biggest is affect/effect.  I always have to think twice about it and usually get it wrong even then. sad

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

To and too.
    I know the difference but sometimes my fingers don't! lol

1. TLMinut profile image59
      TLMinutposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ernest, isn't that bizarre? I do that too sometimes, more often than I like! I've caught myself doing that with your and you're as well - I type it and when I see it, even as I type, my brain freaks and wonders what the heck my fingers were thinking.

R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good use of the word bizarre smile (its on the list vs. bazaar)

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image86
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago

@wilderness I have affect vs. effect on the list... i sometimes struggle with sell vs. sale mostly  because in my head a southern accent kicks in and pronounce "sell" as "sale"... this especially happens when I am around family!!

1. TLMinut profile image59
      TLMinutposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In MD and UT, it's the opposite - I hear people saying something is "on sell". Then here in the south, yes, people say they're going to "sale" something. Unfortunately the kids get confused and don't know how to correctly spell the word they mean.

5. Stanly richard profile image61
    Stanly richardposted 6 years ago

hi rs hutchison

working