jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Do you let your alter ego do your HUB writing?

1. albertovich profile image60
    albertovichposted 5 years ago

Some more than others but WHY? Do you really need that help?

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What alter ego?

I write my hubs, in the same manner, in which I live my life. The only thing is, that I am able to do is display it in words. wink

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've always seen this as a wayto write on a variety of topics that have nothing to do with each other  so that people don't get confused. It seems strange online here, but with books there are plenty of writers who write under their real name for one genre, and a pen name for a second. Agatha Christie wrote romances under the name Mary Westmacott. Readers would expect a book with Christie on it to be a mystery.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

My main ego is a bit poor at writing and stuff.  So I tend to let my alter ego do all that business and also posting on forums, Facebook, Twitter - anywhere where a bit of mindless self publicity is required.  He is brilliant at that, which gives me time to relax and unwind.

I asked him the other day how much money had we made, what was it like writing for an audience - in general how was it was going?

"Crap" he said.

At least he's honest I suppose.  That's the trouble with letting the genie out of the box in a schizophrenic sense.

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

you have several alter egos, don't you Mark?  What is it, 3 or 4? One for complete silliness. One for seriousness. One you created apparently just to provide halarious banter in the comments of the hubs of one of your other personas. You even managed to get that persona's hub unpublished for being about this other persona.  No one would have known both  were you if you hadn't said so inthe comments.  Regardless of which persona you use, you are always a bright ray of sunshine for me to read.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm going to say the standard "but I only have one account".  It's true, but you probably wouldn't believe it.  The Greg Sage thing got a bit confusing for all concerned.

Essentially, I am each of those things, but within this single ID.  As yet, thankfully, I haven't unleashed the paranoid one.

I will admit to having more than one Facebook account though. Oh, and a fake LinkedIn ID.

edit: Oh yeah, one more time.  I am not Greg Sage.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

okay, mark. I love both writers anyway -you and Greg. I don't care if you are the same person, or two differnt people who have gotten confused as being two people  Greg does say he is you in one of his comments in his woohoo hub.  He also says he is biblicalliving, and P7.  I don't follow the last two. I must say it has always confused me as each of these usernames live in different areas of the world. Because Greg writes satire, it is hard to believe if anything he says is the truth or exaggeration.
        I'm quite willing to believe he just said he was youu to be funny.  Either way, this got me to read your hubs, Mark, and I decided to follow you.

4. 0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

Yes, my alter ego is supposed to write on my behalf, but she's extremely lazy and never gets around to doing it!

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

oh, dear! smile You need another alter ego!

1. 0
        klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If it were for my alter ego, I'd be working at a strip joint. But that's where I come in, drag her in front of the mirror and tell her "Do you want everyone to make fun of us?!" roll

5. 0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 5 years ago

When I signed up with HubPages, I let my alter ego go on a vacation. LOL.

6. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't think I have an alter ego.  hmm  I write what I write and how I write, depending on the nature/subject of each Hub (or other piece of writing).  The way I see it, if it confuses anyone, that's because people tend to expect one, narrow, stereotype to be associated with each kind of writing.  I figure, it's my own personal little "mission" to write from my "only ego" and show readers that (and why) they shouldn't always expect the same writing (or thoughts or behavior) from the same writer (or person in general).  smile  I won't adjust what I do (or how I do it) by creating, or digging up, some alter ego that would feed into misguided stereotypes.  I'm not above using a pen name, but the writing, the story, the personality, and the persona would always still be the same, no matter what name I used.

Maybe in Agatha Christie's day it worked better to buy into the stereotype that someone who came up with mystery couldn't also be someone who came up with romance.  I think it's time the world figured otherwise (especially when the name of the writer is also a woman's name).  smile

7. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 5 years ago

No.... I write what interests me or what I think... There is no alter ego in me I guess.

8. gustaw1981 profile image60
    gustaw1981posted 5 years ago

Making metaphores to your real life thourgh your alter ego helps the expression. When you write, you need to simplify many aspects of the information. Keep it too realistic and it becomes boring, add too much spices and it will become ridiculous.

Some articles I write/have written come from fantasy world (e.g. poems), some come straight from my heart.

9. Meisjunk profile image89
    Meisjunkposted 5 years ago

I don't have a specific/single alter ego for all of my writing. I exhausted that outlet when I created a character for a Harry Potter RPG site I was on 6 years ago. JUNK, though, she was absolutely brilliant. XD

Instead, it now depends what I'm writing about. For me, they are more moods than anything else.

I write as the speaker of a poem, which of course changes every time. The one similarity between all my poems is the speaker is melancholic. I guess you can say that Melancholy is my poetry writer.

If I'm writing a film review, I write as someone who has just enjoyed something brilliant. This mood--or state of being--is almost innocent in her eagerness to share, and as such I've noticed that I will write as if each new film is the best I've ever seen. I used to write reviews for films I did not like so much, and it doesn't work out.

When I write about my cat Prince Fredward, I don't think I have a specific mood. I am forever amused by him, forever intrigued and hoping to understand. If any of my moods (or states of being) are my own when I write, this is the one.

10. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

There's Arlene, then there's Ahlene, my evil twin.  Ahlene is the one I keep under wraps.  No, Ahlene doesn't go anywhere near my writing.