jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Discussion

1. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

One of my favorite book series was Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I've always been a big sci-fi fan, which many of you already know from my many rants about Dr. Who, so a sweeping satire of the sci-fi genre was right up my alley as I am a big fan of humor as well. Douglas Adams, may he rest in peace, was a brilliant satirist and open-minded thinker. My favorite concept in the five book series is in Life The Universe and Everything (the 3rd installment) where he addresses the idea that cricket is the most exceedingly tasteless game in the entire universe.

What is your favorite bit of humor in the series?
    And what was it about the series or his writing style in general that captured your heart?

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It was so well bolted together it is difficult to pinpoint anything that stood out for me. The whole thing was brilliantly conceived and constructed as was the movie in my opinion. All the kids have read at least part of it as well.

Very very clever! Loved all of it.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image82
        Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree earnest, it was quite a brilliant work wasnt it. I love how he creates this otherworldly situations simply to point out the less visible aspects of earth culture.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is hard to choose only one thing in all five books of the trilogy that delighted me most.  Great wit and observation through out.

2. Amber Colleen profile image59
    Amber Colleenposted 5 years ago

Oh my word. I could go on and on about this series. Absolutely brilliant! I read the third one on the train coming home from San Diego and I'm sure the other passengers were looking at me like I was crazy because I was laughing through almost the whole thing! I just love how his humor is so effortless. It's like he's not even trying to be funny, he's just saying "this is what it is" and then you realize that it was the funniest thing in the book.

Also, I wrote down quite a few of Ford's lines because they were hilarious and brilliant.

Though I also like that even though it's satirical and funny through almost the whole book, he also touches on quite a few serious matters and has quite a lot to say about life on a whole. His advice is quite good once you get past the jokes.

And his characters are brilliant. His plots are fantastic.

Like I said, I could go on and on!

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

This coming fall, an app of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is being produced for the iPad.  It's intended to actually work as the guide, not be a version of the novel. 

from engadget - "When it arrives this fall, we can expect beautifully animated sequences describing the Babel Fish and Vogon Poetry -- but just a single word about planet Earth (the addition of the word "Mostly" should come in a second, more sinister update)."

As for my favorite bit from the book... I have to say "You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off" has stuck with me for nearly three decades now.