jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Favourite childrens book ?

1. wytegarillaz profile image41
    wytegarillazposted 5 years ago

What is your favourite book to read to your child ? Do they like stories about animals having adventures ?
    I am writing a first in a series and am curious as to what other children enjoy.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When my daughters were aged 5 and 6, they enjoyed me reading The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Pippi Longstocking, and books by E. Nesbit.

1. wytegarillaz profile image41
        wytegarillazposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I used to love pippie longstockings, Rupert bear, Magic of the faraway tree + more !

2. Fullerman5000 profile image82
      Fullerman5000posted 5 years ago in reply to this

First I want to say great photo. My favorite book growing up was a book that was kind of like Where's Waldo? But it included a character that was a little gold bug. I forget the name of the book but I always had that book with me as a kid.

3. Cogerson profile image87
      Cogersonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My youngest kids now are 5 and 2....so we read Where The Wild Things Are and Hey Pancakes almost every night.

2. Katya Drake profile image85
    Katya Drakeposted 5 years ago

When I was really little I loved "Good Night Moon". My sons adore that book now. I read it almost every night! Another classic I liked was "The Giving Tree". My favorite when I was a little older was "Balto". There are a ton of great books out there!

1. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The author of "Goodnight Moon" wrote at least a couple of books with the same little bear character in them.  I'm not sure I recall the correct book, but if "Goodnight Moon" is the one where the little bear goes downstairs, or out to the kitchen, thinking he'll get some cookies; and then discovers they're all gone; I wouldn't recommend that book to SOME little kids.  If I have the right book (I know I have the right bear and author), that's the one that, when I turned the page and got to where he discovers the cookies are gone, my three-year-old daughter started crying hysterically, in sympathy for the sad little bear.   hmm

One of my favorite little kids' books is "Henry's Awful Mistake".  It's not a sweet story like some are (including "Goodnight Moon", except for the cookie thing if that's the right book), but it had me laughing hysterically when I read it, and it got my husband laughing the same way when we read it together (when the kids weren't even around).   smile

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

I loved "Where the Wild Things Are" and later "A Wrinkle in Time"

My Oldest loved Treasure Island and Moby Dick.  My Oldest Middle loved anything Thomas the Tank and later moved to the Narnia series.  My youngest middle loved Blue's Clues picture books and the Oswald series.  My youngest is a Dr. Seuss nut...(She loves the rhymes and noises that are involved)

4. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

My kids are currently addicted to the Magic Tree House Series (they are ages 4 and 5 1/2). My older son also enjoyed a few of the Chronicles of Narnia - we haven't tried The Hobbit yet, but I know he would enjoy it (my four year old is a bit young to listen to it).

5. 0
    Longhunterposted 5 years ago

My 3 YO son enjoys listening to anything about Thomas the Engine and Chuck, the little dump truck. We've also been reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle but, since it's not a picture book, it's hard to hold his attention long no matter how many voices I use. He likes pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Also, my oldest son (now 21) always liked stories about baseball and football when he was about 7 to 14.

6. iviskei profile image81
    iviskeiposted 5 years ago

No dragons on my quilt! I loved that book as a child. There were many classics that I read when I was 6, such as Black Beauty, Robin Hood, White Fang, and so on. Such wonderful books~

7. wytegarillaz profile image41

I saw the mouse on the motercycle as a movie & loved it ! I am almost finished the 1st book in a series , look for a publisher soon . I used to read Noddy as well.

8. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 5 years ago

I suggest you take a look at the Spooks series by Joseph Delaney, which appeal to kids of all ages (ahem!)

9. shellyakins profile image82
    shellyakinsposted 5 years ago

It depends on the age you're writing for.  I love reading the Elephant and Piggie books  by Mo Willems to my five year old.  He I also starting to like to listen to chapter books and likes Encyclopedia Brown.

10. MichelleA2011 profile image61
    MichelleA2011posted 5 years ago

When I was younger I loved the Bearenstein Bears - my mother would read them to my brother and myself before bed. We had almost all of them!!!

11. wytegarillaz profile image41

I watched them on tv ages ago ! I am almost finished my first book of a series , looking for a publisher/