jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)

What to do

1. makusr profile image60
    makusrposted 5 years ago

What should  be done to increase the traffic of poems ?

1. Jlbowden profile image79
      Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

possibly you could try writing additional poems of different verse. But more importantly I believe linking your existing work to sites like Info barrel and Redgage can only increase your traffic. Hope this advice helps.

makusrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. anupma profile image76
    anupmaposted 5 years ago

According to me always try try to write objective and impersonal poems. I am saying this thing because I read literature very deeply and find that only impersonal poem attracts readers or viewers. Another important thing your content must be innovative and heart touching. We remember only those works that touches our heart, otherwise very soon we use to forget.There are other important things that must be present in the poem. You can go through the books that help us to improve our writing skill. I am sure when you put all these things in your poems, people will be your fan.
    One more thing, it must express your thoughts very clearly, so anyone can be able to read it.
    Hope it will work............

makusrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks anupma

2. WriteAngled profile image90
      WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I disagree violently. Some of the greatest poems of all time have been deeply personal. For example, the villanelle "Do not go gentle into that good night" was written by Dylan Thomas as his father was dying and is considered one of his greatest poems. Pretty well all of the poetry of Sylvia Plath is personal to her. I could go on, and on, and on.

The point is, the experiences which hit us most profoundly are at the same time deeply personal and yet universal to humanity. These experiences of highest joy and lowest sorrow often leave us without words. A great poet is able to express these experiences in words which speak for us, which sum up what we are feeling.

Of course, the key is the artistry of expression. Navel-gazing drivel written in cliched terms with no understanding of the music that is so essential in poetry will never get many readers.

1. maven101 profile image75
        maven101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree completely...The deeply personal poetry of John Keats is at once the voice of all of us...His " When I have fears that I may cease to be " resonated with the developing emotional expression of my youth...

For me, poetry must have a certain passionate maturity, honest and uncontrived, that speaks to my heart and soul, whether joy or pathos...

I can understand that poetry is used by many to release frustrations, pent-up anger, and dissatisfaction with-in their lives...What usually results is not poetry, but rant...Blowing off steam is best kept to a private journal for later personal reflection...

2. princess g profile image60
        princess gposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I definitely agree with writeangled too

3. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Now there is a challenge for all would be poets to write -  impersonal poetry that touches the heart of the reader. smile

Although I can understand the concept of unedited emotional out-pouring does not make good poetry. I think the statement made here takes the concept a step too far by sounding all inclusive.

In reply to the OP - traffic to poetry is not always great, and although this site allows poetry remember it is not a poetry site as such.
    This might help -

1/ I would pick your titles with care to encourage traffic ( think in terms of what people type into search engines when looking for poetry).

2/ Make the page look good with relevant photos that you have the right to use that work well with the theme of your poem/poems.

3/ As said use site like RedGage for links to your poems and other hubs.

4/ Consider setting up a blog or web page to direct traffic to  your hubs and visa versa (within the HubPages guidelines about links).

BTW -  Someone who knows the 'ins and outs' of SEO may be able to offer a more technical response to getting traffic to your poetry.

1. princess g profile image60
      princess gposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try and SEO a peom, and it's ruined. Even the title.

2. anupma profile image76
      anupmaposted 5 years ago

Ya, Write Angled And Maven, I understand and know personal poems and the poets u r giving examples. But their themes are always universal. Tennyson's poem In Memoriam is an example of it. He started because of his friend's death, but further it becomes impersonal. Because death is universal. I just want to say whether u r writing anything, certainly it will be ur personal feelings and experience but make it impersonal or universal so that everyone can take interest in reading it. Either Sylvia Plath or any other poet, wrote always what everyone like or happened with everybody. So I cant say that they are personal poets. Or their themes are personal....

1. maven101 profile image75
        maven101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I understand what you are saying, and to some extend I would agree that poets can ( and do ) create wonderful poetry out of thin air, yet having a universal appeal...What I am referring to is that poetry put out there that shouts in your face, that verbally assaults your sense of balance in meter, tone, and aesthetic acuity...simply for shock-value and the generation of smarmy phrases that are utterly meaningless in content or context.

I have found many extremely talented poets here in HubPages that I read daily with pleasure...and many ESL poets that amaze me with their command of English, using poetic expression effortlessly...I know how difficult that can be...I am fluent in Latin and my ego persuaded me to try poetry in that language...I failed miserably...

3. ahorseback profile image56
      ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

I think ,sadly , that poetry just isn't  popular in the numbers  sense. In the book stores , library or on hubs . Poetry just doesn't draw the crowds ! Perhaps you can do like so many others and write hubs like : "How to plant flower bulbs " or "why the pope is catholic".

4. K. Burns Darling profile image83
      K. Burns Darlingposted 5 years ago

Some of my poetry actually does very well. I don't know that there is any secret to it, but I read and follow a lot of other  poet's work, which often leads to them following mine...I think you have to cultivate an audience for your poetry.

5. Hyphenbird profile image94
      Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

ahorseback is right, it is sad but true. I recommend you find good poets here on HP, read, comment and follow them. In return you will build followers. While it will not result in Adsense earnings, it will get your work noticed by an appreciative audience. Poetry lovers seek the lonely and cold world in search of other poets with whom they might make a connection.

6. ahorseback profile image56

Hyphengirl is my hero ! She knows..........

1. Hyphenbird profile image94
        Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Awe shucks ahorseback, you are making me blush:)smile

7. ahorseback profile image56

You see all! Poetry in motion ......

8. 0
      Poetic Foolposted 5 years ago

I have to agree with ahorseback and Hyphenbird.  The audience for poetry is relatively small and, I fear, getting even smaller.  Hopefully, sites like HubPages, Squidoo and others that make it easy to get new poetry seen may help spark a new wave of interest.  There was a day, long ago, that reading and writing poetry was all the rage.  I don't expect that level of interest again but I'd take any increase at this point!