jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

What Kind of Poem Is It?

1. melbel profile image91
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I wrote a poem when I was like 13 and always kept it, but I would like to make my first poetry hub with it. I don't know what kind of poem it is, so I don't know which category to put it in. It probably doesn't follow any sort of framework (like a sonnet or a haiku) or anything like that, so it wouldn't fit into any of those categories.

It's about being lonely. Any thoughts on a sub category for it?

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

the subject of loneliness isn't related to any form of poetry. If there is no rhyme or metre to it it is Free Verse. I don't think Free Verse is a category her eat Hubpages so just do what Epigramman does with his poems and don't  try to categorize it any further than "Poems and Poetry"

2. snakeslane profile image82
      snakeslaneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've just been using the prose poem category since I don't write in any of the more formal or traditional poetry styles either. Good question though.

3. Ehnaira05 profile image61
      Ehnaira05posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just like u I love writing poem, don't hesitate to follow what you think the best sub category, anyway it's yours.

4. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

@ Melbel, you don't have to subcategorize it but prose will get away with anything especially poems written in first person.

5. 0
      jami l. pereiraposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I dont write in any form , i dont worry about what category it fits in  , its what i write , but to try to " fit it in" with anything , nahh .. I just clik on poetry , and that is where it fits in best , i have a hub on the differant kinds of poetry , its called "Titles are for sissies " you might want to check it out and see what you think , have a blessed evening and best of luck to you smile

6. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lyric poem. Expresses the feelings or thoughts of the poet.

7. thoughthole profile image97
      thoughtholeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was having a similar issue recently. I ran across a catagory for creative writing, I think it may have been in literature to start.

2. 0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 5 years ago

melbel, when I write poetry, which is the majority of what I write, I always just put it in the general poetry category with no subcategory.  Don't spend too much time agonizing over it.

3. poshcoffeeco profile image86
    poshcoffeecoposted 5 years ago

Hey guys thanks for the info. I have been struggling a bit with deciding what category to put some of my poems in. Now I know.

4. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Dont categorize , just write !