jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What's the easiest way to get published with an ISBN and

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
    schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago

how would you know if you're a good writer?
    Apparently hubscores don't really mean anything...

2. QuestionMaster profile image90
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

I think you're addressing two different issues here.

ISBNs are used for real world published books. If you go through an agent or publisher, you don't need to worry about that - they'll organize an ISBN for your book.

To tell if you're a good writer online is difficult - but things like how much traffic you get that stays around for awhile (you can check on hub metrics for a general idea or the average visit time on analytics), or you can see how many appreciative comments you get that are NOT from hubbers or spammers.

3. classicalgeek profile image88
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

I've compiled a list of self-publishing resources on one of my hubs. There's a link to a PDF file that compares all the self-publishing houses in detail, and I also address forming your own company and using the same resources the self-publishing houses do (without the markup).

You can buy a block of ten ISBNs for a little under $300.

4. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

If you publish via Lulu or Smashwords, you can also obtain a free ISBN that designates one of these as the publisher.

5. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 5 years ago

http://createspace.com Go there and sign up for an account.  They will publish your book(s) with an ISBN and put it on Amazon also.  Make sure your artwork is high quality, as in 300dpi. and the correct sizes.

6. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image91
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 5 years ago

How does a person tell if they're a good writer?

It depends on exactly what you mean by "good".  Commercial success and artistic success are often not the same, and personal taste is totally subjective.

If lots of people don't like your books they won't buy your work again.  If a publisher or agent suspects your books may not sell well, especially in the current climate, then they'll be unlikely to accept you as a client even if your writing is, in itself, flawless.

7. Daisydot profile image61
    Daisydotposted 5 years ago

If you write an original book, you can submit it to Smashwords, and they will assign you a free isbn.