jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Has anyone out there self-published a book?

1. homesteadbound profile image88
    homesteadboundposted 5 years ago

And, when having to deal with self-publishing or writing in general, do you give out your social security number to everyone or have you gotten a tax ID number and are using that?

2. molometer profile image85
    molometerposted 5 years ago

I think I'd go with the Tax ID rather than social security number.

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 5 years ago

The American tax system is different from the UK system, so I can't answer your second question other than to say, if in doubt, seek advice from a genuine tax expert rather than well-meant but possibly incorrect ideas from non-experts.

Self-publishing is something I'm coming around to, after digging in my heels for a very long time.  I've had traditionally published fiction, poetry and non-fiction previously.

Ebooks are changing everything, don't you think?  They're changing how the industry functions, and how people access books.

To this end, I've just self-published a collection of short stories and one single short story as ebooks.  It will be interesting to see how they sell.

1. purplmama profile image83
      purplmamaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Did you use Amazon to market your eBooks? If not, what/who did you use and how are your books doing? I have several manuscripts in process but I just assumed I'd try the "traditional" route. I'm now re-thinking that idea.

4. classicalgeek profile image88
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

I use a tax ID number.

5. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

Book publishers need your tax information. If you have a tax number (you need to get a licence from your city), then you don't need to submit your social security number. If you don't have a tax number, then you need to give your social security number because that is the way they identify your tax information.

6. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Any business I am working with is one I feel confident giving my SS# too.

7. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

If you self-publish with a publisher you will need to fill out a W-9 Form and there you can either provide an SS # or a Tax ID. You shouldn't have to worry about giving out your SS # to the publisher, if the publisher is trusted and many people use them.

8. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

If you want to self-publish a book try lulu. They are a great publisher and can be trusted...

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Are you using Lulu to prepare books for Kindle too or just to sell the eBooks?
      I've been thinking about two titles that I'd like to write.

9. triplehsd profile image61
    triplehsdposted 4 years ago

She's right. Check out Lulu. I've gotten two books and a couple of short stories in eBook format published.

10. bworthington profile image60
    bworthingtonposted 4 years ago

I just set up publishing for a client who published using lulu.  They are a great option to self publish.  While you can use either a SSN or a TIN, I would recommend treating yourself like a professional and applying for a Tax ID Number.  It is free and the entire process takes about 10 minutes. 

Lulu can do both ebooks and Kindle and physical formats.  Prices vary, but they are fair, and you determine your retail price.

11. JanHeath profile image83
    JanHeathposted 4 years ago

I have one book on Kindle, I formatted it myself (not really really difficult) and got a very professional ebook cover designed by a graphic artist from Fiverr.  The tax stuff I am still trying to get my head around - for example with Amazon Kindle there are different companies, US, UK etc so it gets complicated.

Good luck with your books!