jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (30 posts)

What is everyone currently reading?

1. 0
    daniellehorganposted 5 years ago

I'm reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. The story follows a number of families and individuals as they evacuate Paris in 1940 following German invasion. I am a huge fan of historical drama novels, which is why the book caught my attention. Although it did take me about 50 pages to really get into it, I'm hooked now. The most interesting thing about the book is the author-she wrote it during the time period in which it was set, and later was arrested as a Jew, and died in a gas chamber at Auschwitz.

1. Painted Seahorse profile image95
      Painted Seahorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just started "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" after watching the trailer for the upcoming movie. Only 50 or so pages in, but the author has an interesting style. Blends text, photos, and some diagrams.

2. cdub77 profile image91
      cdub77posted 5 years ago in reply to this

A Visit From the Goon Squad

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have this book! It is an extraordinary read.  What a fascinating writer and woman! The novel was unknown for many decades after her death at Auschwitz. I think it is a literary masterpiece, definitely one of my favorite books.

I'm currently reading a poetry book, when I have some moments to relax. I've been almost too busy to read. hmm

1. 0
        daniellehorganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It can be hard to find the time to read alright! Have you read any of Irene's other books? I think 5 were published altogether.

4. nemanjaboskov profile image86
      nemanjaboskovposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm finishing a book called The Soul Extinguished by Lajos Zilahy - something you must read, providing that you can find a copy...

5. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm reading 'Life' by Keith Richards(with James Fox)

6. Twilight Lawns profile image86
      Twilight Lawnsposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I also love this book. I have read most of Irène Némirovsky's works and think she was so very talented. What a dreadful shame that such a wonderful person should die for her ethnicity; remembering that the family had already escaped, previously, from the Pogroms in the old Russia. have you seen the film. It isn't as deep, obviously, but it really is a masterful and very touching version of some of the story.

2. aware profile image72
    awareposted 5 years ago

forum posts

3. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 5 years ago

The Bad Place, by Dean Koontz...for about the 4th time, lol...I have all of his books, and love to pull one out once in awhile and re-read it. smile

4. 0
    RookerySpoonerposted 5 years ago

I have recently bought two books, which I thought would be of great interest to me.  However, whenever I pick up a book, I read a couple of pages, without any of it sinking in.  I then have to read it again and sometimes a third time, because my mind is distracted.  The two I am trying to read are "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.

5. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I am currently reading two books, which I'm am not allowed to say what they are. wink

1. MPG Narratives profile image85
      MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

1. Cagsil profile image82
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What? It's the truth. I'm not allowed to say what the books are. The two books I'm reading are not common everyday books you can buy in a bookstore. The books are sold to exclusively selected people and to purchase them is by invitation only. wink

6. MPG Narratives profile image85
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

"Little Coffee Shop in Kabul" and it's ok, next I'm going to tackle Shantaram. This one will take a while, its huge.

7. klanguedoc profile image88
    klanguedocposted 5 years ago

I am reading a lot of classics which are free through Kindle.

8. Chaotic Chica profile image84
    Chaotic Chicaposted 5 years ago

My book!!  { "Love Means Never Having To Say Don't Hit Me" available on Amazon for Kindle and coming soon to Barnes & Noble via the Nook}
    big_smile big_smile big_smile

Seriously, though, the book currently on my nightstand is actually a book on the art of public speaking and how to make my speeces sparkle.  I'm kind of entering into a new phase in my life and need to learn how to be in front of the audience instead of in it....it's kind of scary!

9. anjperez profile image83
    anjperezposted 5 years ago

i am midway "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. i have this admiration for writers esp comedy that i secretly want to be one. honestly, i am trying to be funny in anyway i can...

10. asmaiftikhar profile image78
    asmaiftikharposted 5 years ago

now a days i am reading the essays of Bacon which are full of worldly wisdom and that is not easy to digest them so i m trying to swallow and than to digesting them.

11. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

I just finished the Emperor of All Maladies - fascinating book (a "biography of cancer").

12. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 5 years ago

"The Book of Negroes" - a piece of history that is woven with fictional characters but nonetheless, it is based on a piece of true history for Canada and the US.  Captivating and eye opening.

13. 0
    Poetic Foolposted 4 years ago

I've been on a classics kick all year.  I just finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" and just started "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells.  I didn't read fiction as a kid unless I had to in school.  Now I know what I have been missing!

14. Barbara Sachs profile image59
    Barbara Sachsposted 4 years ago

"We need to talk about Kevin," by Lionel Shriver is a real-life horror story about a 15- year-old boy who killed seven kids and  two adults in his high school. We learn this in the first pages  "Kevin Ketchup they called him,  because there is more violence to come.
       The story is told through his mother's eyes and it's a shaky and defensive voice that says "a child's misfortune feels like your fault."  And after every victim falls, including his sister impaled with arrows on an archery target, Kevin chants, "Nyeh NYEE Neeh, neeh-nyeeeeh! 
      What to say about this chronicle of pain so empathetically, so dimensionally told? This is a real book -- I'm glad it didn't happen to me book.  But if it did, here is a woman of courage to follow.  And, this is what books are for.

15. Chaotic Chica profile image84
    Chaotic Chicaposted 4 years ago

I picked up Prey by Michael Crichton while waiting on my appointment and couldn't put it down.  It's a very detailed and compelling fiction about a company going forward too fast with nanotechnology and the compelling drama that ensues.  There is suspense, suspicion, danger, romance, and a story line that touches on the fear of runaway technology.  It was such a good read.

16. lokoyizone profile image80
    lokoyizoneposted 4 years ago

1. Cardia profile image88
      Cardiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey, I'm reading a book by Dean Koontz too!

17. Richard Craig profile image76
    Richard Craigposted 4 years ago

British comic legend 'Michael McIntyre: Life & Laughing'.  Hilarious bio.

18. Tusitala Tom profile image88
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

What is EVERYONE currently reading?

I'd say symbols printed on a sheet of paper or on an electronic screen. Moreover, not just symbols on paper or screen but positioned and aligned in such a way they can be readily and subconsciously interpreted.   Try a quick reading when your holding your book upside down and see how you go if you don't believe me.

I am, of course, being facetious.  I expect the volume (number) of book sales being made at this time on a particular book - be it hardcopy or e-book - would determine what 'everyone is reading' in the common interpreation of that phrase.

...you're right.  I'm just doing this to fill in a bit of time.

19. Cardia profile image88
    Cardiaposted 4 years ago

I'm currently reading 'Dark Rivers of the Heart' by Dean Koontz. My friend gave it to me recently for my birthday!

20. janesix profile image72
    janesixposted 4 years ago

People of the Raven