Punctuation

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This is my next hub project. Never mind that there are already a thousand hubs on the subject... That's just the way it is.

Whatever you post here may show up there.

This is not about grammatical punctuation. This is about communication punctuation.

Anyone care to comment about the difference? smile

Is there one? smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In some respects, yes, formal and informal language. I think?

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes! smile

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my thought

Wanna make out?

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

If you don't have one then you don't have the other? hmm Just a thought. lol

This brings to mind words as well. I know it's obvious, but I thought about making the following "rewrite" before I saw your post:

"This is my next hub project. Never mind that there are already a thousand hubs on the subject... That's just the way it is.

Whatever you post here may show up there.

This is not about grammatical punctuation. This is about communication punctuation.

Anyone care to comment about the difference? smile

Is there a difference? smile

[edit]Not the underline, the words. The underline was to note the different words. See how tangled communication can get?

This is one example. Note the edit.

3. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years ago

Do you mean punctuation used as expressions !! ? :-D

No, not emoticons. smile

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Now I'm confused (resist sarcasm lol ) I was also thinking of the way we test, and in face to face situations, verbal and non verbal cues.

True. We "can't" use emoticons in hubs. We have to do it with punctuation.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Sprinkled with expression, perhaps?

4. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I didn't really know there's any difference (although if I'm being very informal I make add a piece of punctuation that seems a little more expressive or fun, sort of..).   For the most part, the only thing I know is "regular grammar" and punctuation.  hmm

I agree, but are there target audience issues?

And here is another example beyond punctuation:

"I agree, but are there target audience issues?" is a discussion.

"I agree, but aren't there target audience issues?" is a debate.

See what I mean? The smallest miscommunicated nuance can wreak havoc.

[edit] Again, the underline is only to denote the difference, not to emphasize the word.

5. Victoria Lynn profile image87
      Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

But what do the underlines have to do with punctuation? (going back to original question)

Using are and aren't give the sentences two slightly different meanings.

Punctuation communication sounds interesting. I would read it to see what it's all about.

I submit that "slightly" may not be the correct term...smile

6. paradigmsearch profile image59

And depending on the target audience:

"

"I agree, but are there target audience issues?" is a discussion.

"I agree, but aren't there target audience issues?" is a debate.

"
      May be totally incorrect. I maybe should have stated:

"

"I agree, but are there target audience issues?" is a debate.

"I agree, but aren't there target audience issues?" is a discussion.

"

7. Victoria Lynn profile image87

The use of "are" in the example indicates tthat the questioner doesn't know but is just asking.

The use of "aren't" indicates that he or she thinks there are target groups but isn't necessarily sure.

Not a huge difference.

Still, I'm more intereted in the original topic of punctuation communication and what means....

8. Victoria Lynn profile image87

*interested, that is....

Agreed.

9. Dan90017 profile image60
      Dan90017posted 12 years ago

My favorite example would be the usage of "Irregardless" when technically it should be "regardless" as "irregardless" is a double negative and would mean "in regards to".

Additionally, do not correct your boss on this matter. I learned the hard way =/

10. Victoria Lynn profile image87

"Irregardless" is not a word. It drives me crazy to hear it.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too!

11. paradigmsearch profile image59

"at this point in time" is another one that should have been worn out 10 years ago.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

guilty!  I'm a sappy romantic.. "at this point in time" sounds like it belongs in romantic novels.  Sometimes, I use it to make a point.  Grammatically incorrect.. but it's quite effective to emphasize time.

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

One of three bumps.

(what was your immediate assumption of the second bump?)

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

Another:

get vs find

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)