Name One Book You Have Tried to Finish Reading

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (40 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

I have tried to finish THE GULAG ARCHIPELAGO but could not because of its extreme horrific theme.   However, I hope to get the courage to finish the book one day.    Any book that you have attempted to finish?

1. daleamy profile image60
      daleamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Persuasion by Jane Austen. I've read most of her other works and love them, but for some reason, every time I start this one, I get distracted and can't seem to finish it.

2. Max Dalton profile image83
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

The Snowball. It's the biography of Warren Buffett. I love stocks and finance and all of that other stuff, but about halfway through you start to realize that his life just isn't terribly exciting, lol.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

The Never Ending Story  smile

1. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

I never did manage to make it all the way to the end of Theodore Dreiser's "Sister Carrie" - dos Passos' "Manhattan Transfer" stalled me in the first three pages.

1. wonderingwoolley profile image58
        wonderingwoolleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What didn't you like about Sister Carrie? It's sitting on my bookshelf, but I haven't picked it up yet...think it is worth it?

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I personally haven't read Sister Carrie, but I do like Dreiser. An American Tragedy was very well done...so I'd chance Sister Carrie.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was joking, of course!  smile

4. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

'This is How'  by M J Hyland  almost factual account of a serial killer

5. emichael profile image61
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. Good book and interesting topic, but it was so big and drug on in parts.

1. profile image0

Oh, I thought it was WONDERFUL!!  It was long, though...but worth it!

smile

1. emichael profile image61
        emichaelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really did enjoy what I read of it. I think the problem was that I was in my senior year of college and in the midst of biochem and shakespeare finals smile
        Not a recipe for success.
        I'll have to give it another try.

1. profile image0

Starz made it into a seven or eight part series....it was SO well done! smile

Yeah I saw that. I was apprehensive about the idea, but I'll have to check it out. I wonder if it's on netflix......

1. profile image0

Was the last time I checked...worth every single minute, I promise.

6. sasanqua profile image78
    sasanquaposted 12 years ago

Wuthering Heights. Every time I try to read it I get tired and fall asleep, which is sad coz it's meant to be such a great book!

I haven't gotten to that one yet, But I'm the same way when it comes to classic literature. I usually have to balance it with something a little more accessible otherwise I'll more than likely give up. For example, right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky alongside Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card.

7. Just For Fun profile image82
    Just For Funposted 12 years ago

"Reclaiming History" Vincent Bugliosi 1647 pages. Great book but very small print yikes

8. horrez profile image58
    horrezposted 12 years ago

The bible...

9. horrez profile image58
    horrezposted 12 years ago

The bible.

10. Aspects of Life profile image59
    Aspects of Lifeposted 12 years ago

I have tried to finish The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Radcliffe. It is described as a gothic novel, but I find it so long winded. I think you could cut out half the pages with no disruption to the story. Every couple of years I pick it up and carry on from where I left off. I have been reading it for about 15 years now (I am serious) and I am about half way through.

That is commitment!

11. Steele Fields profile image68
    Steele Fieldsposted 12 years ago

Portait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce.

1. bloggernotjogger profile image61
      bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco.
      Great book, but I was reading it when my daughter was in the hospital and I was waiting to see if she would be ok. When she was released, I couldnĀ“t bring myself to continue reading it. I do plan to get back to it someday.

2. PDXBuys profile image80
      PDXBuysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I once attempted Ulysses by James Joyce.  A futile attempt...

12. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

"The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littell.

It's the fictional memoir of a Nazi officer.  A third of the way through I found myself sinking into depression verging on despair.  Written beautifully...too much so.

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

Anything by Charles Dickens, except David Copperfield.

14. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 12 years ago

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

Just to difficult to remember whats going on every time I pick it up to read some more.

15. LisaKoski profile image81
    LisaKoskiposted 12 years ago

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged bu Ayn Rand but couldn't get past 100 pages before giving up completely after a couple months.

16. typeface profile image60
    typefaceposted 12 years ago

Vanity Fair is one that always get me! I have tried to read it so many times but I always get so distracted by other things!! Oh dear...The FRUSTRATION! tongue

17. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Lisey's Story by Stephen King, the ONLY book of his I have ever struggled with. Just couldn't get into the whole 'bool' this and 'bool' that in the early part of the book. Got about 25% through it, put it down (about 4 years ago now) and never picked it up again. Shame, because he is my favourite author.

18. PDXBuys profile image80
    PDXBuysposted 12 years ago

Principia Mathematica by Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell.  I couldn't understand the first sentence.  Nor could I understand any sentence which followed.  The book was written in English (I think).

19. Smokes Angel profile image59
    Smokes Angelposted 12 years ago

I honestly can't think of a book that I didn't read cover to cover.  I love to read.  I try to avoid Satanic books and occult books however.

20. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

I tried reading book of mormon yesterday. I failed on the third sentence.

21. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have a set of books which are not available to the general public, so I cannot divulge the names of the books, but I have been reading them for several years now. wink

22. profile image0
    madmilkerposted 12 years ago

See Spot Run.!!

23. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Cags...Is that a fancy way of saying "purloined Library books"?  If so...I feel ya...

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope.

24. Storytellersrus profile image69
    Storytellersrusposted 12 years ago

Sadly, I have a stack of books beside my bedstand that I "intend to finish" but can't seem to pick up:  The Lady and The Monk by Pico Iyer; Breathless in Bombay by Murzban F. Shroff; and I did finish Brooklyn by Colm Toibin but can't for the life of me think why I wasted my time!!!  I am reading Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and can't put it down.

25. iskra1916 profile image60
    iskra1916posted 12 years ago

War and Peace but I don't think I am alone in not finishing that particular epic..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)