jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What are man's greatest temptations? Are they blatant or deceptive?

1. emichael profile image81
    emichaelposted 4 years ago

I am working on a short story and wanted to get your feedback on the topic of temptation. The story is allegorical, moral, and sort of in the style of a Grimm or an Andersen tale.

Stearing clear of anything too personal or revealing, what do you think are man's greatest temptations?

I use "temptation" here to mean anything that compels us to behave in a way that is contrary to either how we believe we "aught" to behave or, if you want to dig a little deeper, how society has made us believe we "aught" to behave.

1. cdub77 profile image91
      cdub77posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think pride, greed, and lust cover the major temptations, both subtle and not, that have traditionally plagued men.

They have  power to manifest themselves, especially pride, as so many other things that often, I believe, these three (or at least one of them) are the hidden root of whatever bizarre, sad, destructive behaviors we often encounter.

2. JayeWisdom profile image94
      JayeWisdomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would add jealousy and envy to the list. They have been the motives for many murders.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Small temptations are the slippery slope to large temptations.

3. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago

Power, I think the majority of man's temptation is the that of POWER. Sheer authority over another.

4. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

The one that goes completely unrecognized is ego.

5. Steele Fields profile image81
    Steele Fieldsposted 4 years ago

Chocolate and sex (but not usually simultaneously)