jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)

Books read in 2011

1. marwan asmar profile image74
    marwan asmarposted 5 years ago

How many books did you read in 2011 and can you name some of them?

1. Rosie2Travel profile image60
      Rosie2Travelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I probably read around 50-60 books this year alone. Some were what I consider "literature" and some are just mind numbing. I read a lot of books that became movies.

2. cdub77 profile image90
      cdub77posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Read a bunch of Margaret Atwood and some Jane Smiley  and Gabriel Garcia Marquez last year.  Just to give an Idea of what I've been reading.

2. freecampingaussie profile image50
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

I read loads and loads of books ,some weeks read 1-2 & other weeks read 5-6 .I couldn't name them, read some by Judy Nunn, Danielle Steele and many other authors .

marwan asmarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am in envy. Its amazing how people can sit and just read

3. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 5 years ago

I finally read Robinson Crusoe. Only 500 some odd years late.
    I also read Brandon Sanderson's first book in an upcoming ten part series. It was incredible.
    And others.

4. calpol25 profile image75
    calpol25posted 5 years ago

I have read about loads of books this year, but I can narrow my top 5 down to these...

My top 5 are

1 - Men Of The Pink Triangle
    2 - Jackdaws - Ken Follet
    3 - Hornet Flight - Ken Follet
    4 - Pillars Of The Earth - Ken Follet
    5 - The Ring - Danielle Steel

As you can see am a big fan of Ken Follet smile

marwan asmarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Glad you are a fan of Follet. To say he is good would be an under-estimation.

5. EyesStraightAhead profile image90
    EyesStraightAheadposted 5 years ago

I have read a lot this year - and 43 since buying my Kindle in June. Some of my favorites have been:

*  The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

*  Leading With a Limp by Dan Allender

*  Start with Humility: Lessons from America's Quiet CEOs on How to Build Trust and Inspire Followers by Merwyn A. Hayes and Michael D. Comer

*  Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs by Ellen Galinsky

*  Love You More by Lisa Gardner

There are so many more I would recommend that I read and I have definitely found I read a lot more now since buying the Kindle, since I don't have to go buy a hard copy or order it online and wait for it to come in.

6. Esmeowl12 profile image85
    Esmeowl12posted 5 years ago

I've read dozens of books this year. I live to read. I've been on quite a Dean Koontz kick and have read almost all of his books this year. I think I lack about 5 or 6. Currently reading John Grisham's "The Broker." Excellent.

7. LisaKoski profile image92
    LisaKoskiposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how many I read. I reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Angel Time, and a few others. Reading is the best way for me to relax or just spend my extra time.

8. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 5 years ago

I never enjoyed reading fiction much until recently.  In 2011 I made a commitment to read more of the great classics.  Primarily to round out my education and then for enjoyment.  A large number of the classics are in the public domain and can be downloaded for free.  I have a Kindle app on my Droid so I can read just about anywhere I have a few free minutes.

Doing so, last year I read Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, Crime and Punishment, Great Expectations and finally The Count of Monte Cristo.  I only read two traditional books last year, Wild at Heart and finally Steve Martin's novella, Shop Girl.  I couldn't put it down and read it in about 3 hours.  Good book!

9. Alexander Brenner profile image88
    Alexander Brennerposted 5 years ago

For the first time? I read Sea-wolf, The Tale of Genji, 7 Famous Greek Plays, and Travels With Charley... gosh it is hard to think of an entire years worth. For the umpteenth time I read Confederacy of Dunces, The Odyssey, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. All amazing books, and I would recommend them to anyone. Oh, also Tina Fey's Bossypants is awesome

10. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

The vast bulk of my reading has been in picture-book form, I'm afraid, but I did get to re-read Ender's Game (I'm an Orson Scott Card fan) and read the Emperor of All Maladies, among others.

11. jessramblings profile image79
    jessramblingsposted 5 years ago

Oh, man... I probably read about 70+. I never keep track, but I want to start doing that. I could attempt to post some of them, let's see...

The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
    Sea Glass Trilogy - Maria V. Snyder
    Wither - Lauren DeStefano
    Big Fish - Daniel Wallace
    Bloodlines - Richelle Mead
    Uglies Series - Scott Westerfeld
    Monster Island - David Wellington

And so many more, haha. I read a lot of YA/Teen Fiction as usual and some adult fiction.

12. kschimmel profile image78
    kschimmelposted 5 years ago

I average 5 books a month, so I'm guessing 60.  One of the best was "The Einstein Syndrome" by Thomas Sowell, a book about the research on late talking, yet gifted children.  Another one I highly recommend is "Bloodlines" by John Piper, which confronts Christians with the legacy of racism in our churches and proposes actions to remedy unbiblical opposition to interracial marriage among Christians.

13. Teresa Schultz profile image80
    Teresa Schultzposted 5 years ago

Oh my - I guess I should be disgusted with myself - I didn't read even one book in 2011. I read tons of articles and how to's on the Internet instead, mostly related to the type of work I do from home, or as reseach for clients. My eldest son (14) read quite a few books by Terry Pratchett in 2011 and maybe I'll try find the time to try out one of those!

14. Teresa Schultz profile image80
    Teresa Schultzposted 5 years ago

Oh my - I guess I should be disgusted with myself - I didn't read even one book in 2011. I read tons of articles and how to's on the Internet instead, mostly related to the type of work I do from home, or as reseach for clients. My eldest son (14) read quite a few books by Terry Pratchett in 2011 and maybe I'll try find the time to try out one of those!

15. shruti.p.v profile image79
    shruti.p.vposted 5 years ago

well i read tons and tons of book last year!!...well..most of them were fantasy novels!! but they were all wayyy awesome!!..my fav being the inheritance cycle!
    here :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_Cycle

hope this helps!! smile

working