jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Short stories.

1. Uneducated opinio profile image59
    Uneducated opinioposted 4 years ago via iphone

I have always loved to write short stories, but since I have been out of high school I really have not had any time or motivation to do so. Within the past few weeks I have made time to do so and was wondering of there are any good sites to publish these stories on when I finish them? I don't think I really want to just make a hub on a short story.

1. cdub77 profile image91
      cdub77posted 4 years ago in reply to this

You should star reading quarterlies and lit magazines.  The Strand, McSweeneys, The Southern Review, and publications by major universities in your area are all great places to start reading/submitting.  These are just a few more literary themed ideas.  For genre markets, pick up a copy of The Writer's Market.  It has valuable information on legitimate publishing options if you wish you be professional about this.  Best of luck!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And flash fiction is very hot right now.

2. nooser profile image61
        nooserposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Figment.com & Authonomy are both good websites to post any stories. (:

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I would suggest looking on duo trope.com

3. Uneducated opinio profile image59
      Uneducated opinioposted 4 years ago via iphone

Thanks. I will give it a look

4. 0
      Poetic Foolposted 4 years ago

Why not publish them on HubPages?  A lot of people do.  There may be better places, I honestly don't know but a lot are published here.  If you have an established group of followers here, then it might be a great place to start, get feedback and hone the craft.  Good luck!

1. BfoBarney profile image58
        BfoBarneyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree with poetic, you seem to be doing well on HP, so why bother try somewhere else?

5. shimmering Dawn profile image84
      shimmering Dawnposted 4 years ago

Short stories don't do too well on hubpages, after the initial interest the seem to pull your scores down..not that I care about score .. but it does happen.
      Thanks psycheskinner, that suggestion could help me too!!

6. DIMIR profile image83
      DIMIRposted 4 years ago

I agree too with posting them on here.  I only put up a few, to test out.  They have received a bit of attention.  I used to use WritersCafe, but after a while the work on there really lowered in standards and criticism was ... I couldn't understand what any of the posts meant, let alone get feedback on my work.  The internet will always be tough on short stories, I think. 
      Duo Trope.com is definitely worth checking out!  Again, don't be afraid to post a hub (unless it is score that you want to protect).  I'm sure some hubbers would be happy to read and review for you!

7. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 4 years ago

One option might be to build a collection of short stories then publish them as an ebook.

8. shimmering Dawn profile image84
      shimmering Dawnposted 4 years ago

Maybe I should check out those too! I have written quiet  a few and kept them as I am not hesitant to post them here... thank you nooser  :>)