Re-inventing Tolkien?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Lissa Joy profile image59
    Lissa Joyposted 12 years ago

This thought was triggered by a friend of mine, an English major who plans to write a book that will surpass J.R.R. Tolkien's eternal classic, Lord of the Rings. As you may have heard, LOTR (among others) is considered to be the definition of modern fantasy, introducing many of today's common elements (a battle between good an evil, an improbable hero, multiple races of human-ish creatures, extensive worlds, history, and languages, and so on).
    My question is, do you think it's possible to re-invent fantasy as we know it? Or is today's "new" genre something completely different (the graphic novel, for instance)? What does this say about our society--are we now unwilling to use our imaginations and instead prefer to mindlessly devour images with text taking a back seat?

Thoughts appreciated!

1. HistoryProdigy profile image66
      HistoryProdigyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope your friend is successful. It is a good thing that he or she sets tough goals like that. Henry Thoreau said "if you build castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

Harry Potter is the only series that came close to challenging the Lord of the Rings, but I think HP didn't quite make it. The Lord of The Rings stands alone at the moment. I do believe that one day a fantasy genre book will take the top spot from LOTR. Maybe the only way to do so is to redefine the genre. But the Fantasy genre has been the same for the last 70 or 80 odd years, so for now I would place my bets on more of the same.

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 12 years ago

If you actually delve into Tolkein's works, and how they came about, then things like Harry Potter don't come close. I hadn't read LotR for a while, so I picked it back up, and was amazed, as I always am, at the life that is contained in the books.

I would say Wheel of Time was closer than anything else I've read, but Tolkein's dedication to developing cultures, languages, and environments is unmatched.

Honestly, with the changes in society(everything is instant, internet, phones, now now now), I wouldn't be surprised if it never is surpassed. I think that kind of writing has had it's day.

Good luck to him, I'd be interested in reading what he comes up with.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Personally, I found Harry Potter poorly written, unimaginative and predictable. I gave up somewhere midway through the fourth book because it had become so tedious.

In contrast, I have read Lord of the Rings trilogy probably more than 30 times in my life, and have never ceased to be caught up in it and deeply moved in places.

I would be very surprised if someone could match Tolkien. He spent many years constructing the most detailed background for the world about which he wrote. This is one of factors that makes his work so powerful.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+ 1

A Stint in the trenches of WW1 also helped temper that talent.. I doubt many today can truly appreciate what such experiences did to creative genius!

2. Lissa Joy profile image59
      Lissa Joyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to "Hobbits, Elves, and Wizards," an analysis of LOTR by M. Stanton, Tolkien's entire inspiration for Middle Earth was two or three different languages he had created. He built his characters from the styles in which they spoke. How totally opposite of what the fantasy writing process has become today. (Just thought I'd insert that, as it was personally interesting.)

3. Lissa Joy profile image59
      Lissa Joyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you; in direct contrast to the character treatment in the movies, Rowling's syntax patterns and word choices seem almost childlike. I walked away from the series after it drove my literary sensibilities to internal head-pounding. (No offense to Potter fans.)

4. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Most certainly worth a try. Do you have any idea how sick I am of blasted vampire books? smile

5. ElizaDoole profile image83
    ElizaDooleposted 12 years ago

I thought Tolkein was marvellous, Harry Potter came at the right time and was a breath of air for the genre, which had become a bit niche.
    The Wheel of Time series was really great, so are the Terry Goodkind books, Robin Hobb, Game of Thrones - all great stories.
    Nothing tops Tolkein though, there have been a few attempts smile

6. moiragallaga profile image76
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

Nothing will top Tolkien, he is the master of this genre. A lot of fantasy and sword and sorcery novels and stories got inspiration from his work and followed his template. The Lord of the Rings is one incredible piece of literature, a classic. The strength behind Tolkien's work is that he built a world around the story: races, language, culture, history. Considering the period in which he created this masterpiece, it was groundbreaking stuff then and it still is today.

7. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

What has to be recognised is that Tolkien did not actually invent the genre he simply gave it new life in a very profound way. Books like The Worm Ouroboros and other amazing books existed long before LOTR and were great examples of High Fantasy.

Tolkien proved that it is possible to re-invigorate a genre and drag it into the mainstream - other modern writers such as Brandon Sanderson, George R R Martin, who both write amazing fantasy works that are not 'normal' aer showing that the whole genre continues to adapt, change and grow - even writers like Jim Butcher produce some great fantasy pieces.

The cool thing about fantasy is that the options you have are limitless and there's no doubt there is room for somebody to come and surpass Tolkien (George R R Martin is widely considered as the American Tolkien).

Good luck to your friend!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)