jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Anyone know of some Gothic lit I can read?

1. 0
    WordsAreStrengthposted 4 years ago

I'm trying to write a Gothic mystery set in hte 1820's and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any books I can read for inspiration. I am not going for a Victorian Gothic novel with vampires and velvet because I want it to be a little less Bram Stoker and a bit more like Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White". Does anyone else know of any I can read?

1. 0
      Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you like Wilkie Collins, the stories of M. R. James might be good inspiration.

2. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would think you would have a problem with going further back than the Victorians as they pretty much invented Gothic I thought.

Gothic structure is only about being in a visual representation of the mind anyway, with all the crypts where we hide our repressions and the cloisters and tunnels of our suppressed desires.

1820's was at the start of discovery and adventure through colonisation etc - Gothic was about it all coming back home to roost.

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

big_smile   +1 (Big Time!) smile

2. 0
        WordsAreStrengthposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, the Victorians were more famous for Gothic but that genre started during the Romantic era. That was the rea when the first novella which included vampires was written. It was called "The Vampyre" but I forget who wrote it. I had to study it in ym Romantic Lit course. Really interesting genre!

1. Deep Metaphysical profile image76
          Deep Metaphysicalposted 4 years ago in reply to this

check out my gothic poems if you may

3. Marie Gail profile image88
        Marie Gailposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Monk, by Matthew G. Lewis, was one of the first two gothic novels written in English. It was written in the last decade of the 17th century. Good reading and a lot different from the stereotypes of velvet-wrapped vampyrs. Even Jane Austen lauds it in her novel Northanger Abbey.

2. 0
    WordsAreStrengthposted 4 years ago

Thanks! I'll check them out.

1. cdub77 profile image91
      cdub77posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Though they are not specifically Gothic, I thought I might mention that William Faulkner and Flannery O'Conner are often called Southern Gothic for their dark tone and somber subject matter.  A great book to introduce the dark world of Faulkner is "As I Lay Dying."

3. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 4 years ago

Probably wont help you much, but 'Northanger Abbey', by Jane Austen. It's a parody of Gothic fiction, though, rather than a serious Gothic tale. Ann Radcliffe, the writer Jane Austen was probably directly parodying, may fall into the area of Gothic fiction that you're not interested in - though, she's also one of the ones that many think created the genre in the first place.

1. Marie Gail profile image88
      Marie Gailposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love Northanger Abbey. Laughed all the way through it.

4. Shaddie profile image94
    Shaddieposted 4 years ago

I recommend 'The Yellow Wallpaper' by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's only a short story, but it really had an effect on me when I read it a while back. It is quite "creepy," as they say.

5. Marie Gail profile image88
    Marie Gailposted 4 years ago

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis is the second known gothic novel that is still in print. I adored it.

Jane Austin's Northanger Abbey is a HILLARIOUS spoof of gothic fiction that any gothic literature lover will enjoy.

The Bronte sisters' novels are also excellent gothic literature.