Unwanted pagination

1. Charles James profile image84
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

I am writing a book in Word 2003.

The main text is fine. The pagination at the bottom outside corners is fine.

But those pages which have footnotes have just above the footnotes a long line with the correct page number to the left of it. I do not want this additional pagination or line.

It ought to be easy to fix but after two hours I have given up. Any suggestions?

1. JT Walters profile image74
      JT Waltersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Pagination shouldn't be effected by footnotes.  I remember this from college.  Atleast they shouldn't be effected if you go to the top tool bar and click "view" then "header and Footer" and then put your pagination in. You have many choices as to where you would like your pagnation as to whether it would be on top or bottom.  You can also leave your pagnation off the first page if you so choose.

As a writer I have been through this as well.  Windows 93 was a killer especially when you had to make columns.  I hope this helps.

2. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

Out of curiosity, I looked into this a little.  Apparently there are two different ways to create pagination in MS Word 2003:  one is by using the Insert menu and clicking on Page Numbers; the second way is by using the Header and Footer toolbar and clicking on Insert Page Number.

These two methods have slight differences.  For example, with the first method it is possible to move the page number around to different places on the page; that feature is not possible with the second method.  In that second case, the page number is inserted as part of the text in the header or footer.

It sounds to me like you have possibly used both methods somehow and can't get rid of one of them.  Could that be correct?

About the line: Is that the separator line that is inserted for footnotes?  It should be possible to customize that.  The Help section gives info about how to change or remove it.

Sometimes in Word I have a problem with accidentally inserting several hyphens and then hitting Enter.  That creates a long line across the page which is difficult to remove.  If that is the problem here, let me know and I'll tell you how I remove it.