jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What path should I take in my writing career?

1. 0
    kevinbrown55posted 4 years ago

Hi, I'm kevin and I'm relatively new to Hubpages. Although, I prefer to write creative fiction, I thought writing online would prove to be a valuable learning experience. So far, it has! However, I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. What might be the better road to take today, freelance writing, writing as a novelist, or both? I would love to hear some helpful insight on what steps I should take. Thank you!

1. SmartAndFun profile image91
      SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it would be smart to do freelance writing to pay the bills, while you write your novels in your spare time. Unless, that is, you already have some other means of getting your bills paid. Welcome to hubpages!

2. ar.colton profile image92
      ar.coltonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP Kevin,

I think you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with your writing and where you passion lies. Freelancing can be a great way to earn a more reliable income but it takes a lot of time and effort to be a succesful freelancer and that can take away from your creative fiction.

I chose not to freelance and instead to focus on my creative fiction and write on HP in order to connect to other people living with FMS. HP is a great oulet, but 80% of my energy is in my fiction.

3. jdflom profile image82
      jdflomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Write in the areas you love writing in. I prefer writing short stories, screenplays, poetry, copy, and an occasional article, so that's what most of my work consists of. Try new things if you are unsure, and see if it's enjoyable for you.

2. 0
    Vrijdag Pagesposted 4 years ago

I have been with hubpages for 18 months, however, it is only recently that I've taken to writing articles on writing, history and politics, that I began a month of writing hubs, first hoping to get at least 15 hubs out.

Why am I doing this?

Well, alike to you jdflom I love fiction writing and trying to improve my writing by offering my advice on writing articles at this site.

However, unlike everyone requires cash to pay bills and you cannot rely on hubs to do this, so becoming a freelance writer is a good option or start writing to magazines for jobs.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image83
    SandyMcCollumposted 4 years ago

I would say use the freelancing to pay the bills until that first big royalty check comes in from your book! smile Good luck Kevin, and welcome to HP!