jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Dante's Divine Comedy

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Dante's Divine Comedy is a classic.  The novel metaphorically describes humanity's ultimate descendence to his/her lowest point (inferno) and conversely, humanity's ascendence to his/her highest point (paradiso). Dante was a wealthy Tuscan whose property was ultimately confiscated by the authorities.  Dante also suffered other injustices because he elected to confront the authorities of the day.   In his novel, he placed many noted authority figures in Hell.  In your opinion, what figure, noted and/or otherwise would you place in Hell.

2. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 4 years ago

If Hell is a place of eternal torture, I don't think I could place anyone there permanently. If anyone deserves punishment, however, I'd say it would be those who torture/kill children, old folks, or animals.

BTW, I loved Dante's Inferno!

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point, habee.  I also love Dante's Inferno.  In fact, I love it so much, that I have it in book and audio forms. I love to listen to it as I fall asleep.

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that might give me nightmares! lol

3. Joseph Howard profile image91
    Joseph Howardposted 4 years ago

I've had to read Dante's work a couple of times now throughout school, and every time I can't help but wonder how it would read if Dante wrote it during the 21st century.  Let's be honest, half of the individuals Dante describes in each circle are personal acquaintances that have wronged him in some way.  Nonetheless, I wonder what popular contemporary figures would wind up in each circle.  I know I didn't quite answer your question, but it just sparked my memory.  Oh well, food for thought!

Glad to be of help.

4. Joseph Howard profile image91
    Joseph Howardposted 4 years ago

Your forum topic sparked a little flame in me, so I wrote the article I had been pondering over for a while.  I am still a newbie to this whole thing here, but check it out if you want! I just threw some popular celebrities in their corresponding circles of Hell as described by Dante.  Hope you enjoy it, and thanks for the idea!

I read your hub and thought that it was totally awesome!

working