jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Setting the mood for a night of writing...?

1. Joseph Howard profile image91
    Joseph Howardposted 4 years ago

In my own experience, the atmosphere must be perfect if I hope to get any writing done.  The corner lamp is the only light source, and my Brain Crain Pandora station is playing.  Also, for some bizarre reason, it has to be at night (no idea why).  Anyway, I know I can't be the only one with these specific intricacies.  Fellow writers, how do you set the mood? Candles? Toto? Heavy metal? Bubble bath? Feel free to share (no one will make fun... promise).

2. 0
    klarawieckposted 4 years ago

I actually moved my desk to the bedroom so that I could sit by the window looking at the rooftops and the ocean in the background. I need to have scenery in order to write. I also do better when I'm alone in the house. Early mornings are better for me, but I can do night, too.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

i can't set a mood...somehow i get inspired...don't ask...cuz i don't know... mind you i've only written about 20 hubs i think...i think the time of day doesn't matter either...it's my mind that's in charge and i write when it feels like it has sumthin' to say....argh...i've no control over it.......soooooooooo  big_smile

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's whenever the muse visits. I love it!

4. The Demon Writer profile image71
    The Demon Writerposted 4 years ago

I go wherever people are not and just start thinking of ideas. For me this involves a lot of pacing back and forth whilst talking to myself. Honestly I think that when I am trying to come up with things to write I must look completely insane.As soon as I have an idea I'm happy with I just get stuck into it, often getting up to pace some more at random points.
    Sometimes though I'm struck with inspiration out of nowhere. At those times I usually just find something to write it down on then continue going about my day as normal.