jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

The Catcher in the Rye

1. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 5 years ago

Have you read Salinger's novel and what do you make out of it?

1. xstatic profile image60
      xstaticposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I read it a long time ago, and still have a copy in my bookshelf. Holden Caulfield is a quintessntial American character of a certain time. It seems to me that in later years the character has been accused of being a self-centered whiner. I have always planned to rearead it. The author's seclusion for years before his death has contributed to the book's legend.

1. breakfastpop profile image86
        breakfastpopposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I too read the book a long time ago when I was a teenager. I have to say that I loved it,  in fact I loved every second of it. Holden  did and said things that I wish I was brave enough to say and do.  One of these days I'm going to re-read it.

2. breakfastpop profile image86

I too read the book a long time ago when I was a teenager. I have to say that I loved it,  in fact I loved every second of it. Holden  did and said things that I wish I was brave enough to say and do.  One of these days I'm going to re-read it.

3. breakfastpop profile image86

2. Deborah Brooks profile image41
      Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago in reply to this

wow Catcher in the rye.. excellent book.. In fact now I would like to read it again.. It's been so long ago.

marwan asmarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Go on Deborah, read on, I am sure it will bring back memories

2. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 5 years ago

I am still reading, I am on to the last 40 pages. Very interesting style I thought, not sure about the daily events, not too exciting I thought but as I said the way Holden says things keeps you tied to the book

3. glendoncaba profile image80
    glendoncabaposted 5 years ago

I read The Catcher in the Rye years ago in high school.  The book explores self conflict and coming of age.  The theme of trying to preserve innocence is enduring.  I believe i read it again in my adult life.  A book worth reading.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Catcher in the Rye was controversial when it was first published and its a  book about adolescents who have some usual problems like self identity crisis.

5. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I read it a long time ago while I was still in high school. I hated it.

Its interesting you should have hated the book while the others put on a much more objective picture. Its funny that people have different tastes, while some may read, others may like you simply hate.

6. Twilight Lawns profile image89
    Twilight Lawnsposted 5 years ago

A wonderful book that I have read several times.  It was as relevant in Australia as in America, I should imagine.
    I doubt if there are many people who read it O h so many years ago who have forgotten the name: Holden Caulfield.  Perhaps the era and the actions of the character are somewhat blurred, but who could not empathise with him.
    But don't forget; Salinger wrote some other books, and his collection of short stories, 'For Esmé -  with Love and Squalour' is brilliant, and certainly  worth reading again and again.
    Or if you want the American spelling: 'For Esmé—with Love and Squalor'.
    Great literature is great literature, isn't it/

7. getitrite profile image80
    getitriteposted 5 years ago

Years ago, after hearing about all the "censored" stuff in this book, I finally read it, and was EXTREMELY disappointed.  There was nothing in the book I considered to be worthy of censoring...and the story was actually boring.  In fact, Jonathan Livingston Seagull was more exciting.  Am I missing something?

8. William F. Torpey profile image80
    William F. Torpeyposted 5 years ago

I read the book many, many years ago. I don't remember the details of the book (I have a bad memory anyway), but I do remember that I enjoyed reading it. Also, it seemed to me to be a rather pedestrian story of a young man's experiences in life and the way he handles the little problems he ran across from day to day.

I think the story line is ordinary, but it is the way the character says things that makes it interesting, you are always looking for the next line of narrative, you reading what is he going to say next.

9. Amaya31 profile image60
    Amaya31posted 5 years ago

Hi there. In regards with the book, The catcher and The Rye, I really like how the writer made some twist in the story. It seems like an ordinary book but its good.

working