jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Maybe I'm a different breed?

1. Tara Anderton profile image60
    Tara Andertonposted 5 years ago

Jesus Christ - I think I'm in a fucking alternate universe. One where there are no intelligent conversations to be had!
    I just tried to explain to someone about the process of writing a book. After a 10 min conversation about what it takes for me to write a book with 65 000 words,  the person in question said god that sounds like a nightmare it would be easier to work in a shoe shop!!!!!
    Yes those are the words that crossed their lips after poring my heart out about my passion and what it takes to make a book come to life. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????
    The only thought in your tiny brain is about how hard it is and why would you do that if you could just work in a shoe shop.

I swear to god I nearly actually cried that this person has nothing else to say than that. And they couldn't understand why I was looking at them like someone had just died. When asked why I was looking at them like that I actually said ~
    The response you just gave me is so unfathomable to me that after all I said to you, you could only come up with how hard it all was. To me right now you have the brain of someone in special ed that cant put two and two together.
    Like how did that even come up? How the hell did we even get to this point and why did I even bother sharing something so personal with someone that clearly did not deserve it!

For fucks sake.......get away from me.........

(Note - I have nothing against people in special ed, just people pretending like they don't belong there when they actually do!!!)

What are your thoughts on this subject

1. peeples profile image88
      peeplesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why would you expect them to have the same passion you have for writing?

Tara Andertonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I didnt expect the same passion I just expected an intelligent conversation to happen after I poured my heart out! Yes they can think its hard but what else have you got???

2. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Tara, I would have taken it has a complement because the person obviously realized that they couldn't do it and is probably amazed that you did. I wouldn't be too upset about that if I were you. They probably meant it in a nice way.

Thanks, that's another way of looking at it I guess!

3. j-u-i-c-e profile image99
      j-u-i-c-eposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing there was something in the way they said it that set you off. Plenty of people don't get why people write -- or pursue any other art form for that matter -- or just how hard it is. Let it go. There are plenty of smart people to talk to online if you can't find them in RL.

Yes it was the way they said it, its just like they couldn't be bothered to reply so they just said it sounded so hard!
        Thanks Im over it now I just needed to vent!

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

At least they realized it is difficult. Most people seem to think writing a novel can be achieved over the weekend just by writing down whatever falls out of your consciousness.

hahaha agreed!

3. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 5 years ago

I wrote a book.Took twenty years,one thousand pages,98 thousand words...made a great fire.
    Kudos to you young lady.It's a hard row to hoe.

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

All writer must know their audience, even the face to face encounters. smile

working