jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Novelists, old or new!

1. marwan asmar profile image79
    marwan asmarposted 4 years ago

What kind of novelists do you like best. Is it the old type like Dickens or the new ones, especially the writers of today?

2. 0
    ScottHoughposted 4 years ago

Hugo is my absolute favorite. Steinbeck is awesome. Tom Wolfe Rocks. Who can't help but love Harper Lee? Ayn Rand: half of Seinfeld is taken from The Fountainhead. John Swartzwelder is currently my favourite author. Though his writing is quite different than Hugo, Steinbeck, Wolfe, Lee or Rand; their influence upon him is clear, to me anyways. He doesn't talk much so it's difficult to sort out all of his influences.

3. j-u-i-c-e profile image100
    j-u-i-c-eposted 4 years ago

Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Proust, Kafka, Hugo, Joyce. Poe and H.P. Lovecraft for guilty pleasure. I've never really gotten into modern lit, mostly owing to time constraints. I'd love to hear recommendations for current authors.

Damit! Now I want to read. smile

4. anupma profile image76
    anupmaposted 4 years ago

For me, only work does matter, whether it belongs to ancient era or modern era. Theme of the literature never changes, it always remain same. It is the way of expression that only changes with the passage of time.

5. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 4 years ago

I have been a huge fan of John LeCarre for a long time, and read all his wonderfully atmospheric spy novels. (The recent movie Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy is great as were the previous BBC versions of his work). I really enjoyed Thackeray's Vanity Fair as an example of an older novel. John Burdett has written three very interesting novels set in Bangkok, statring with Bangkok 8. Steinbeck, Hemingway and Faulkner are all favorites too.
    I am a film noir fan and love the Raymond Chandler books set in Los Angeles, and for a different point of view on life there, the newer Easy Rawlins novels by Walter Moseley.
    Oh, another author I must mention is J. G. Farrell, author of The Siege of Krishnapur, set in India near the end of the British Empire, and The Singapore Grip, a novel of Singapore on the eve of WW II. (both outstanding).
    There are many more, including John Updike (Rabbit Run, and others) and Larry McMurtry (Lonseome Dove, etc., but that is enough of my eclectic list for now.

6. Dee aka Nonna profile image85
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 4 years ago

I like all of the "old" novelist many of the names have already been mentioned.  I like many of the new novelist.  The novelist I like very much are the new novelist that didn't quite make it to become household names....writers who end up wrting maybe one novel and give up because they didn't get the marketing machine behind them.  I have discovered some wonderful and unique gems by seeking out these writers.  I hope that one day someone feels like they want to support me for that reason.

7. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 4 years ago

I don't know if I could choose between old or new.  I have so many favorites in the old novelist category, but I find fresh and engaging books to read in the new category as well.